All things IBS. Mebeverine? Cramps and air. Breathing techniques?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all. been diagnosed with IBS for 20+ years and started having major flare ups again recently. I only get the pain and cramps, no toilet issues, its always there at least in a minor annoying way but now I'm going 24 hours in severe pain from trapped air and cramps. it's always on the right hand side often from lower to upper quadrant (under rib) and I can physically feel a huge hard lump of trapped air. I have tried buscopan and wind eze tablets when symptoms arise and doesn't seem to help but haven't taken it regularly. I recently took co codamol during a flare up and it def seemed to help, its the only pain killer that has managed to touch it..... I have just been prescribed Mebeverine which is apparently stronger than buscopan? Does anyone know if it works after first dose or how long it takes to 'kick in'? Also has anyone on here tried breathing techniques to manage pain and symptoms? i have tried almost everything over the years but I have recently found that breathing in EXTREMELY gently for a 1 or 2 count and then breathing out for AT LEAST double that count seems to really help manage the symptoms. Thought I'd throw that out there to see if it can help others. I believe it works to both calm you down and also reduce pressure in and around the abdomen. Doesn't solve it but certainly seems to help.

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

thought id mention I am Male, 38 years old

• Posted

" but I have recently found that breathing in EXTREMELY gently for a 1 or 2 count and then breathing out for AT LEAST double that count seems to really help manage the symptoms"

You should look at "kapal bhati pranayam" and "anulom vilom" which is a similar yoga technique that is used to control anxiety and digestive system.

Did you try "Ibarogast". I have heard good reviews for IBS.

• Posted

Hi. I have just been prescribed Mebeverine so I don't know whether it works yet. I have been told to take it all the time. I suppose your doctor has ruled out appendicitis?

• Posted

You need to try Buscopan regularly to find out if it works for you. I took it regularly at first to stablize my IBS, then I found I only needed it as and when required.I find even though I don't take it regularly now, it still really helps during my rare flare ups. Keep taking painkillers since they help. Mebeverine is known to irritate the stomach; I stopped it after 4 days because of severe indigestion. I tried it again with the same result and then threw them out. After the first dose, it felt like I had swallowed a

pebble.. They were too strong for me. Only mild antispasmodics help me. I would persevere with Buscopan first.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.