Allergic Disorders

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was diagnosed early Glaucoma in Oct, 2015. For the last about 3 years, I have been using Azopt twice daily and Travatan once a day. My situation/eye sight still remains the same as when it was diagnosed. Travatan has been Ok for me since started using it. I started Azopt after trying 4-5 other eye drops which did not suit me due to being beta blockers. Reason being that my BP remains on the lower side; 120-130/60. Beta blockers further reduced my BP/heart rate, hence stopped and started using Azopt.

For the last one year, I started itching all over the body and since last 6 months itchy red patches have been appearing on my body mostly back which would disappear usually within 2 hrs or so automatically or some times with use if anti allergic tablet. I have been trying my best to ascertain the cause of this allergy by leaving various medicines/ eggs for some time (however never left any of the above eye drops; Azopt or Travatan) one after the other but have failed to pin point the problem so far.

I again read the leaflets of these eye drops which say that various skin problems can occur with Azopt as well as Travatan. I plan to leave Azopt (which i suspect more) for 2-3 days to see what happens, similarly if Azopt is not the culprit then plan to leave Travatan for 2-3 days.

Can I request users of these eye drops if at all they notice any such allergic problem with these drops?

Any one knowing any other eye drops which do not have beta Blockers? Here in our country there is none.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I would definitely talk to your eye doctor, if you are unable to find an alternative and are having a reaction to the drop you might want to consider having laser treatment. Also, unfortunately even with an eye drop that works you will not see much improvement in vision. The drops work to prevent further damage they do not reverse what has already occurred.

• Posted

Thanks for the response. The Dr once told me that you would not get blind. Possibly he said so in view of my advanced age but when I told him that why not reduce the eye drops being used by me. He replied no do not do it. I will ask him the same question again during next a few days.

Actually I was diagnosed early Glaucoma and early dry AMD when I went for a normal visit for check up of my eyes in Oct, 2015. Since then I have been using eye drops for Glaucoma. By the grace of God, my eye sight remains almost the same as when diagnosed. I wonder if I have Glaucoma for definite and when I ask this question, the Doc avoids giving clear reply. I will again ask him this question as well.

• Posted

Many times doctors will say you will not go blind because you will not as long as you actively treat Glaucoma. I would not go off of drops. Id look into alternatives (different drops, laser treatment etc.) The drops slow down progression. If you are not sure if you have Glaucoma have them provide you your records. They diagnose people with Glaucoma when either there IOP (eye pressure) is too high. Typically above 22 consistently or if you have cupping of the optic nerve. Meaning the appearance of your optic nerve is larger than typical and is getting larger. Many people with Glaucoma have both.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.