Allergic reaction causing loosening of implant?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I had my left hip replaced with the posterior approach in Sept 2017.  Since that time I've had some fairly mild pain, mostly in the thigh muscle.  It hasn't caused me to lose mobility, until the past month or so.  One thing that has changed is that I got a dog in mid-November, thinking it would force me to walk more for exercise.  It's done that, and I was walking 3/4 to 3 1/2 miles each day.  However, about a month ago, I was putting something in the back seat of my car and I felt something give slightly in my left hip/upper thigh.  Since then, my pain has gone up considerably.  It's not a constant pain, but it does happen every day usually a number of times.  At times I can't walk because I'm not sure if the pain will cause my leg to give out.  This is much worse that the first year after the replacement, so I'm thinking something else is going on.

I am slightly allergic to dogs, and I'm wondering whether that allergy might be causing my body to attack the implant.  I realize this is a wacky theory, but I was wondering if anyone has heard of such a thing happening?  If so, is there a test that could be done to verify?  I was thinking of maybe having my eosinophil level checked, which can indicate an allergic reaction.

Thanks,

?Bob

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Bob

I very much doubt it’s an allergy to your dog but I’m no expert. Do you have any groin pain or back ache? The reason I ask is I have psoas impingement which causes me thigh pain and sensation of the implant moving. It also gives me groin and back pain.

Regards

Carolyn

• Posted

Man, you sure got my curiosity up.  I Googled hip implant allergy.  Attached is a link to a medical abstract article.  I hope you can understand it without difficulty.  To me your quandary doesn’t make sense.  I hope you can resolve your issues.  I suggest you call your doctor.
  • Posted

Oops

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5336431/

• Posted

Dear Ducksoup

Thanks for posting that link. It makes mention of osteolysis which I read last year is responsible for a high proportion of hip replacements failing.

Having had a total ankle replacement five years ago that has failed due to osteolysis and is having to be replaced next week this was of course very interesting to me.

I suggest that the OP should request X rays and a CT scan specifically to look for cysts.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Hello Robert

I dont think the dog is the problem  It could be psoas tendon related but best to see you doctor who will no doubt order an xray or scan.

All the best.

• Posted

Materials are made and non allergic metal alloys specifically made for implants .they are not magnetic and why we can have cat scans. There  are 100's of thousands of patients with metal,components. The only issue is wear and tear age and fretting from the metals.then it's usually time for round two in the parts department.

Its important to see your doctor ASAP. Obviously when you bent over in your car you felt something and it's hurt ever since.... that's the major point in this scenario. Something in the hip has either slipped, broken or a stress fracture from bending or pulled tendon . This happens in many cases and the greator totancher area of the femural bone is susceptible to injury. Plz see your surgeon to diagnosis and help identify any damage rather than not knowing or risking further damaged over time.

• Posted

Saw my surgeon today.  The conclusion is it's a torn muscle.  The x-ray didn't show any movement or problem with the implant outright, though he did see a possible pedestal forming under the end of the implant, indicating a mis-match between the stiffness of the bone and the stiffness of the implant around the bone.  This is the area of the implant that doesn't have bone grow into it.  He wants to wait and see if this causes a problem, or if it resolves on it's own.  

In any case, it appears to be a soft tissue problem.  He didn't think an allergy to dogs would be causing a loosening of the implant, even if there was an allergic reaction  So, I get to keep fido.

?He thought it would be 8 weeks for the muscle to repair itself.  It's been 4 weeks so far.

So, time will tell (fingers crossed).

?Thanks to everyone for their input.

?Bob

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.