Allergic reaction to coconut oil!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Just wanted to warn you ladies to be careful with that coconut oil! I've been having an  allergic reaction to it for the past 5 days! I have blisters on vulva and vag.  It's not such an innocuous cream to use in that area!  Test it out on your inner leg first.  sad

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

H no sorry your having a bad reaction I must say I've never tried it and don't think I will bother 

• Posted

Just goes to show you can't be too careful.  What is fine for one person is toxic to another.  I really don't think there is ever "one size fits all" for anything.  I always use olive oil for moisturising in that area, but my sister, who also gets dermatitis, is sensitive to olive oil and it makes her worse.  Sorry you're suffering, and thanks for the heads-up.

Minamii

• Posted

At first I thought it was a flare up of LS, but the blisters and rash are only where I applied the coconut oil. Bummer because it's so much cheaper than Emuaid! Thanks ladies! 😎

• Posted

Oh dear, sorry to hear that. I did hear from one other lady who was allergic to coconut oil so she definitely wasn’t going to put it on her privates. Perhaps that applies to you too Debbie. Did this happen to you the first time you used it? I have been using it every time I go to the toilet for more than 4 years, no problems. Many ladies also find vit e oil very soothing - you break open an oral vit e capsule and squirt the contents onto your finger then insert it. I started with 200iu strength then moved to 400iu. Perhaps you will get in better with that. I also love yes oil based lube which is made from a mix of natural organic oils (coconut is only in the lube in applicators, not in the tubes). I think you have just been unfortunate. But you may get on better with other oils.
  • Posted

Ooie, I can't use vitamin E oil at all!  It dries everything out on me and makes my skin flake, like a snake shedding.  Isn't it odd that we can have so many varied reactions to the same thing?  

• Posted

Hi Minamii Yes and depressing. Things that work for others don't work for us. I'm in tears..My left side has a bad fissure so I can't use my Clobetasol. I tried it tonight and it burned so bad I'm in tears! I'm almost ready to do my own vulvectomy if I could! I see a pelvic PT that told me not to EVER use any products that are not on the approval list of Gyn recommended ointments. I now also have blisters, red, raw and irritated skin from another product that supposedly was approved for LS. . So be careful! Take care, Debi

• Posted

So sorry that you didn’t get on with coconut oil. I feel bad that I recommended it now. But I know so many women who find it soothing. I guess that is what happen when you are so desperate you will try enything. I tired so many different things to cure my thrush and I think that is what resulted in the vulvodynia. After I tried cider vinegar in my bath my vulva was on fire! My gp said she wasn’t surprised and couldn’t believe I’d done that. And yet so many women recommend it. I swore after that - no home remedies! To think, I was considering sticking a garlic clove up there because others had recommended it. But it was too late, I had vulvodynia. I guess you could consider coconut oil a home remedy, but I had used it before as a lube and knew I was fine with it. It’s all very well saying not to use anything other than what is on the gyn list of approved products but I didn’t get in with any of those - they all stung me and made me worse. It was suggested that it may not be the medical part of these creams that I was reacting to but some other ingredient. That was when I started looking into what all these other ingredients were and found that a common ingredient, used to balance ph, is sodium hydroxide - in other words, caustic soda or lye, that is drain cleaner. It is caustic! Hence the name. It is used to dissolve a drain blockage. Why would we want to put that on our skin, let alone our vulva skin!  My research found that there are alternatives to balance ph - so why do they still put drain cleaner in medial creams? My gynae told me that I should only use products in an oil base because those tend to be just the medicine and the oil, which is inert. Creams have so many other ingredients to balance ph, prolong shelf life, etc. 
    • Posted

Wow! So much for Dr. approved remedies! Don't feel bad about coconut oil. It's not your fault I tried it. It's my body that is so bloody naughty! I personally think LS is a curse. (I'm joking). But it sure is complicated! I'm going to ask my doctor about Betnovate. After I check it out! No drain cleaner in my Clara!! 😉

• Posted

Oh you poor thing!  If all else fails, my go-to is baby oil.  Not to be mistaken for bath oil, which has soap added.  Just plain purified mineral oil.  

Minamii

• Posted

I still have blisters and red raw skin. How on earth do I get rid of them? I can't use my Clobetasol until my skin heals up.  Is there any way of hurrying it up?  I use the Clob twice a week to keep the LS away!  How do you heal skin?  Thanks to anyone who answers. 

• Posted

Well, here is the conundrum - if it was me I’d apply cocnut oil, but that is what cause your blisters in the first place! When I had fragile, split skin in that area my GP gave me trimovate cream which is a steroid plus anti biotic and antifungal to prevent infection setting in. But that what your clobetasol is.

You could just use a basic emollient ointment such as diprobase (pure petroleum jelly without added medication).

• Posted

Hi debi - I purchased coconut oil and Dernot 500 on Saturday to help with the constant vulval pain.  I decided to try the Dermol 500 first, not wanting to mix products.  At first I tried a very small amount on the front part, it seemed fine so I increased it to a bit further back, and finally around the anul area, and have has no reaction at all.  This is the third day I have been using it, liberally, every time I go to the loo.  I wash area in warm water, dry, then apply the cream.  So far my pain has been greatly reduced, it's early days yet, it may just be a fluke, but I am hoping this will help.  Dermol 500 is an anti microbial and emollient treatment for dry or problem skin, helping with a variety of skin conditions.  Can safely be used on babies, so not dangerous.  It helps to combat any bacteria on skin, softens and restores the normal protective function of the skin.  Can even be put on the face, but they do say to try a small bit first as with any treatments.  Can be used as often as you like.  Worth a try.  I am not too sure on the coconut oil now, but will try it on arms first to see if allergic.

• Posted

Dermol 500 is liquid paraffin with some antiseptics in it. If you are worried about reacting to the antiseptics you could just try a pure emollient. Diprobase is soft paraffin and liquid paraffin. I used the cream for a while when I first had vulvodynia then switched to the ointment because creams always have other ingredients in such as preservatives and ointments are pure. Diprobase ointment is just white soft paraffin and liquid paraffin, nothing else.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.