Allergic reaction to hydroxychloroquin

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, was prescribed hydroxychloroquin for arthritis in April this year.  Had an allergic reaction after 6 days - hives followed by water retention in my legs (put on 12lbs of fluid within days), followed by urinary tract infection, hair loss, dermatitis.  Also I now suffer from insomnia as the hives flare up at night.  Antihistamines have no effect, given up taking them after 6 weeks.  Now into my 7th week, slight fluid loss in my legs but otherwise no change to my symptoms.  

Any advice?  Getting pretty fed up with this.

Thanks for reading this, hope to hear from you.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Have they suggested another treatment? I can't take hydroxychloroquine, it's now listed under allergies on my records, I came out in an rash and had breathing difficulties and was told to stop taking hydroxy straight away. It might be worth asking if there's something else they can offer if your allergic reaction persists.

• Posted

Hi thanks for your response.  I had to stop taking the drug immediately I had the allergic reaction, but that was 8 weeks ago and I’ve still got hives and now dermatitis so it’s ongiong.  I’ve been in remission with the arthtitis although the flare ups are just kicking in again. My consultant has prescribed me sulfasalazine as an alternative although he doesn’t want me to start it for a couple of months.  Reading the info on  sulfasalazine it says it can cause a rash so I’m really concerned I might have another allergic reaction. 

Guess I’ll just have to try it and see what happens!

• Posted

8 weeks is a long time for the reactions to persist. The drug does stay in your system for a while but reactions should gradually clear up. I was clear within 2 weeks.

Often it's a brand thing with reactions, the coatings on drugs, other fillers. Changing brands can make a difference. Unfortunately we don't always get the brand that suits.

Unfortunately it can be trial and error. Most of the treatments to control conditions like arthritis and the autoimmune family are pretty strong. I was swapped to Methotrexate, it has side effects but has reduced the activity of the Lupus and Psoriasis. As you say, it is a wait and see. Hope the new treatment works for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.