Allergic to antihistamines????? ANY INFO MUCH APPRECIATED

Posted , 21 users are following.

Hi guys,

Firstly, oh my god. I dont think you realise how happy i am at finding this site. I genuinly thought i was one of a few people who suffered this horrendous \"thing\". That is how i refer to it now. A \"thing\".

I am 20 years old and am having an awful time with urticaria. All started in Feb so 5 months ago now. Firstly was told by GP that it will go in 6 weeks so felt very optimistic. 6 weeks came and went but still felt it might go...after 3 months realised this may with me a bit longer than first anticipated.

Saw 5 more GP's all who gave me different anti-histimines-none that worked, in fact, some made it worse!! Constantly asked to be referred to Dermatologist with no avail. Gp's said it was a last resort. They really didnt seem to care and to be honest were plain awful.

It finally took a scary trip to A&E when rash became to much to bare and started affecting my breathing for them to actually refer me. I was in A&E for 11 hours on a drip filled with renitidine and steroids. It did knock me for 6 because i was really quite worried by this point.

So finally had my first Dermatologist appointment 2 weeks ago where they explained my \"condition\" and prescribed me on a course of 3 tablets a day for 28 days. on the first day of taking these antihistimines i had terrible stomach ache and felt sick and tired, and whats worse the rash was extremly bad. so called them up and they told me to stop taking the tablets. They got me back in and said that i am now to do nothing for 6 weeks. dont take any antihistimines they have said and go back in 6 weeks.

Kind of feel like im right back at step one. I genuinly belive that when i take antihistimines it makes the rash worse...has anyone else thought this?

I dont know whether to try the tablets again and give them a chance, maybe if id have carried on for a few weeks it may have eventually gone, but surely im not expected to go out with that thing all over my face and body and live with that for god knows how long.

Im only 20 and i have to go out in the sun in long sleeves because im so paranoid. It gets me down so much and im lucky to have friends that support me but honestly i cant go on like this anymore. I feel for you all so so much and my thoughts are with all of you as we battle through this stupid illness that still nobody seems to care about.

Please let me know if anyone else has reacted badly to any antihistimine. then maybe i can have some piece of mind. One thing that made me laugh was the antihistimine i was prescribed said on the leaflet \"may cause urticaria\"!! fantastic hey!!

Well hope this sheds some light on anyone else experiencing same sort of thing.

Laura

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Laura, Sorry to hear about your ongoing hive and antihistmine situation. My daughter is  8 yrs old and dealing with similar symptoms for the last 3yrs.  Her GP told us her hives should last 6 wks. Fortunately they are not constant, and only sometimes itch. They typically go away within hrs., she's tried allegra, claritin, zyrtec and benadryl to block the histamine and They all cause severe allergic reactions that typically last 4-5hrs. Her entire torso becomes one big hive, she feels like she's on fire!  We are on our 3rd allergist. We've been told she has dermagraphism (writing on the skin) coupled with physical urticarias. Her triggers are sun, heat, cold, ocean water and cold pool water. She's had a biopsy at my dermotologist which came back negative for mastocytosis urticaria pigmentosa, blood work has also confirmed that her tryptase levels are low. We are back at square 1 again!! She's also having mild allergic reactions to ibuprofin and tylenol. Which in years past have never been a problem. Her only relief to the itch is calamine lotion!!

We've heard not many people suffer from these urticarias and they usually subside or go away within 3 to 5 yrs!

Her current allergist has her on a probiotic to clear her system of any bad bacteria. He's checking all her meds that caused a reaction for a common ingredient that she may be allergic to!!

Good luck to you and keep me posted!!

Kathy

• Posted

I am so sorry for you, I have had it for two years plus..started with Ibuprofen ..I still have it everyday but a pause for a few days in between.taking Hydroxozine , and cream...thinking of Zolaft..so sorry, it is a horrible thing..
  • Posted

Hi Kathy & Soo,

I really hoped to have good news to tell you following my appointment with the immunologist but sadly not. For the third time this year I've been admitted to A&E with the start of anaphylaxis.

Not one day since December has gone by without me having at least one body part covered in hives/angioedema 😢

I've been trying a low histamine diet but it doesn't stop me taking 3 antihistamines a day to control the burning and itching (it doesn't even stop the hives).

If I could afford to trial the Daosin tablets I would, they control the histamine in your gut which sometimes helps if your overproducing histamine, might be something to look into, if your hives seem troublesome after eating.

I'm taking Fexofenadine, Zirtek (certrizine) & Piriton - so two H2 & a H1 antihistamine.

I've had an allergy to Aspirin and Ibuprofen since I was 5 - that was an anaphylaxis reaction.

UK GPs seem reluctant to try too much, hoping the hives will run their course but 6 months in I feel worn out, constantly drained and my skin is suffering - what a joy lol

I hope your little ones hives settle, as an adult it's a nightmare but for children I suspect it's torture at least I can try my best to explain and treat symptoms but for children it's difficult to even explain.

Good luck both of you xxx

• Posted

I have the same condition ( i think worst) i feel so helpless.

i have asthma and Im allergic to almost all the medicine I try to take.

recently tried neozep for my runny nose, i developed rashes (hives).

i am also allergic to my own antiasthma pills and nebules. ;(

antihistamines makes my allergy worst, so im on hypo allerginic diet (boiled veges  and fruits )sad 

everything was normal growing up, i could eat and take any meds. until I finished college, i developed brochial asthma (hereditary) then allergy to almost everything ( sun, dust, fur, food, heat, cold, medicines) cry i could stay in the sun but limited time. No doctor wants to handle my case, they are allscared to give me medicine, I cant even have my molar teeth extracted... cry

• Posted

I am very similar to you. I cannot take antihistamines at all, or asthma pills or meds. I am allergic or they upset my stomach, or both! It started when I was older- when I was younder I Was able to take these meds but no longer. I now am thinking I am untreatable. I keep going back to the doctor, getting a new med, trying it, only to have my skin itch and burn. It has gotten so that I am embarrased to tell her this or go back, and visits to the doctor are expesnive (I live in the US).

I have seen an allergist and he could not help me either. I tried many medicaitons. Most have overpowering side effects.

I Don't know what is different about me, genetically but my tolerance for medications is very low. 

I am sitting here now with a irritated itchy skin, because of my latest medicine I have used.

• Posted

Antihistamines are a funny old thing. Like most of us I tried all the different types including the typical fexofenadine. And like many of us under instruction from the immunologist I was taking a lot of tham and alternating the fexo with any other one. My pill intake including vitamin D and steroids and hydroxychloroquine and montelukast as well as the antihistamines was getting insane. It seemed to work for a few days and then despite the level of medication it would come roaring back.

Finally I stopped taking everything, except the steroids when I really needed them and fianlly it cleared up.

But I also made sure my teeth were all sorted... which may sound utterly insane but I had always had a feeling it was realted to poor teeth. And the immunologist said any site where there may be an inflamatory process out of control can trigger it. And having had two teeth recrowned I also had a crown come out with all the super structure under it and found it had been rotten under the crown base for possibly years.

The only advice I think is solid is, take no anti inflamatories (ibuprofen etc), drink no alcohol and get to see an immunologist not a dermatologist. This is not a skin condition it just manafests on the skin. To relieve the itching if you have any, use best quality organic cider vinegar... and have it handy in a spray so if it itches at night say, spray it on instead of scratching. I would also try and get steroids from your GP, they were the only thing which really worked when needed.

• Posted

I thought I was the only person with this problem I cannot take antihistamines they give me hives as well. I suffer from seasonal allergies I feel at a lost of what I should do never can seem to get any help or suggestions from the Dr.'s so I just suffer till frost comes.

• Posted

I've always had a problem with antihistamines. Zyrtec and claritan body cramping and trouble swallowing. Allegra, nervous and trouble swallowing. Clortromitron severe tachycardia. I'm on benedryl now which speeds up my heart and causes leg cramping. I'm on valium do spine problem so it counteracts this. Im allergic to corn. I'm alot of medicines. You could be reacting from inactive ingredients.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.