Allergic to cheese and nuts

Posted , 3 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi all,

 I never knew that I was allergic to cheese until one night my husband and I returned home from work latish one afternoon.

I had to prepare a quick meal for us so I boiled some macaroni and added grated cheese.

I melted it in the microwave and dished it up for us with a bit of pasta sauce to go.

A half hour later I was vomiting and my stomach cramping very badly. my husband rushed me to the ER and they did test all the while I was vomiting .

For the first time in my life it has been found that I am allergic to cheese and that I could have died of anaphylaxis (narrowing of the air pipes)

I always loved mac and cheese but now I have to keep cheese In a separate smaller fridge that I have as I cannot stop my husband from having cheese. But it is a big problem when we attend parties etc. I am very frightened of consuming cheese by mistake.

likewise I had a similar happening with peanut butter one day and these are the two foods I love the most.

Now I cannot eat it or even have it near my own food in order to avoid serious mistakes.

Has anyone had something of this nature.

Would love to hear from you.

Philippina

1 like, 6 replies

Report

6 Replies

  • Posted

    I don't personally have that problem, but I've got several family members that are as severely allergic as you are to certain foods. My niece is allergic to tree nuts but she can eat peanuts because they grow in the ground. Facing a buffet in a restaurant can be challenging but since you only have two substances that you've shown a severe reaction to, and considering the items, it shouldn't be too hard to order in a restaurant. Buffets whether with friends or co-workers or restaurants will prove more difficult. You should get a prescription for an Epi-Pen to use in an allergic emergency. It give you time to get to the hospital or wait for the ambulance. Nut allergies can be so severe for some people that it's become a law now for companies to make that clear on food packaging. You should probably should get an allergy test. The average allergy test does not test food substances but you will still want to see if you have any other allergies to things like animal dander, house dust, roaches, etc. There are two different ways of allergy testing. I my city the allergists usually do it with a scratch test. This means that they put a tiny scratch on your back and then apply the allergen that's being tested. You will have several scratches on your back (it really doesn't much) so then they wait for 30 minutes and look for a reaction. Where as the typical ENT (Ear nose and throat) does their test differently. Instead they give injections (just barely under4 the skin) of the allergen. If you do not have an allergic reaction they give you a little more of the allergen, I think they do that one more time  before they determine that you are not allergic. As you can  see, the allergist's testing is insufficient at least in my opinion. The amount of the allergen they put in the scratch is very small and you may have an allergy of a substance but it takes more exposure before it bother you. 

    Report
    • Posted

      Hi amkoffee,

      Many thanks for your response. thanks for the detailed information.

      I am going for a test and my doc suggested I do keep the Epi-Pen with me as this has happened to me too often.

      I am allergic to both types of nuts. I wont chance it. And peanut butter was my favourite.

      I will keep you posted as soon as I have been tested.

      Regards.

      Philippina78653

      Report
  • Posted

    Hi, I avoid all forms of dairy products.  I miss yogurt the most.  I don't miss cheese much.  There are many alternatives to cheese and yogurt on the market, and I can make my own sour cream from cashews and macadamia nuts.  I have read in allergy newsletters that dairy is one of the allergens most likely to cause anaphylaxis, as are peanuts.  So, be vigilant, read food labels, ask questions when eating at restaurants, and I always bring my own food to pot luck dinners and buffets.  Good luck,stay healthy.

    Report
    • Posted

      Hi susan91070

      Thanks for the info.

      I make me own food from scratch so that I know what I am eating.

      I have just taken two hot loaves of bread from the overn.that I have baked.Mmmmm

      Regards

      Philippina78653

       

      Report
  • Posted

    I'm glad that you are getting tested. I hope your not allergic to too many things. Be sure to keep that Epipen on you at all times. And watch that expiration date too. 

    ?I am thrilled to learn that you bake bread. I do too but I only know one recipe and that for a boulle. I think I spelled that correctly. I also love to can food. Do you can? I belong to a great canning group on Facebook. It was from this group that I started dehydrating food too. My husband and I are lucky enough to have friends that grow organic food to sell to restaurants and they give us veggies and fruit for free. It's great.

    ?BTW I'm apology for being so wordy in my previous comment. It's a bad habit I have, I don't know when to quit.

    Good luck to you and please do keep us posted.

    Report
    • Posted

      Hi,

      I do like lots of info so I am happy to keep informed. thanks.

      Yes I do love canning.

      Anything I can put in jars ( can) I do just that.

      I just don't can meat.

      I`m not a big meat eater.

      My husband also does not care for too much meat or chicken.

      And we seldom eat fish..

      Veggies is our thing.

      I make a lovely sauerkraut and pickled onions as well.

      tastes great with homemade fried chips.

      I have never dehydrated food. .

      Have you ever heard of canned watermelon pieces (the inside has been eaten)

      I am amazed that so many people have not had this and it is so lovey.It is refreshing if it has been left in the refrigerator for a day or two and then eaten . I normally add cinnamon and ginger to the syrup and then can it. Nice

      Anyway send me some of your canning tips and tricks.

      I will keep you posted on the results of my tests

      Keep well.

      Philippina

       

      Report

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up