Allergic to gabapentin?

Posted , 1 user is following.

I was prescribed Gabapentin for occipital neuralgia a few weeks ago. I started with 100 mg at bedtime, but doubled the dose (following doctor's instructions after 3 days. It was Thanksgiving vacation and I had some wine. My pill bottle didn't say anything about alcohol, and my doctor never mentioned anything about not drinking while taking this medication. After 5 days (2 of 100 mg and three of 200 mg) my husband took me to the ER because I was completely confused and couldn't remember my own name. I was there for 4 days and had every test known. They suspected a stroke, a seizure, and checked for meningitis among other things. It was a very scary 4 days and I'm still not back to normal. In the end, after a lumbar puncture, an MRI, CT scan, EEG, EKG, a chest xray, and more, they sent me home, They concluded that my weird symptoms were caused by gabapentin combined with alcohol. I've got back a lot of my word recall, but I am still very weak, can hardly type, and I am confused and feel like I've been asleep half the time. The doctor told me I will recover but it's basically like I've suffered a brain injury. I'm extremely frustrated and feel like I am suffering from dementia when I was completely healthy a week ago. Has anyone ever experienced this after only 5 days of taking gabapentin? It seems unlikely that such a small amount would cause such side effects. I wonder if I'm just allergic to it. I'm also wondering how long this will last. I'm an elementary teacher but I don't trust myself to keep my students safe while I'm still shaky and confused. I'll never touch this drug again! I'd rather keep having headaches!

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.