Allergic to meat suddenly?

Posted , 2 users are following.

so i was keeping abit of a food diary and noticed on 2 occasion's when I had meat, some time later i came out in hives, not alot maybe like 3-4 on my legs both times. Ive also felt abit stuffy and a runny nose. i don't know to have any food allergies but its freaking me out! is it a coincidence, paranoia or could it be an allergy? I've had meat many times before, even last week! but apparently you can get it any time!

Help!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Kendal, Yes... allergies can happen anytime and you may get away with a mild allergic reaction or just have a sensitivity to it, or you could have a really bad reaction needing emergency help...you can be allergic to meat protein, or even the antibiotics used in some food animals(cows, pigs, chicken etc..) depending where you live; there is also a tick borne allergy to meat called alpha gal...people bitten by the lone star tick or any of six types of ticks get alpha gal in their bloodstream(something humans & great apes don't have in their bodies) it shows up as an allergy to meat, there is a blood test for that...look for things in your environment like pollen, new soaps, scents, animals, clothing etc.. that can make it SEEM like the meat (as you were exposed the same days/times), keeping a more detailed journal until you can see an allergist, it can help you determine if it is actually the meat or some type of preservative or something else etc...causing symptoms, you should get an epi-pen as hives are a bad reaction & you should carry it with you...at least consult a DR for THAT & mention your reaction & see what they advise...ALLERGIES are nothing to play with...Good Luck💒🌈🎶♾💞🐾🍀☮

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.