Allergic to Nickel

Posted , 5 users are following.

its been along time since posting on here I've finally got my 

surgeon to do some more tests and after 1 knee replacement and 1 revision knee replacement and no relief of pain we have spoken about amputation. As I'm living on Morphine. I have been asking for along time to have an allergy test done and was told no as I wouldn't be allergic to Nickel.

A year later and I have just had the test and now found out the Nickel knee inside of me I'm allergic too. I have been saying about 

being in pain now for 16 years and now I know why has this happened to anyone else ?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Diane, its good news sort of that they have at last given you an answer as to why you are and have been suffering so much, I'm allergic to zinc and just something as simple as kenetic tape has caused scars on my knee because I didn't realise the content so I can't imagine what its done to your knee interior, when are they going to replace it, soon I hope, this will hopefully give you back your life, I think that everyone who is having a prosthetic fitted should be tested for allergic reaction before not after, I hope all goes well for you from now on

• Posted

Hi, I'm hoping to see the surgeon in the next few weeks to see what is going to be done, but unfortunately i had an accident in April this year and fractured my elbow and wrist and I can't use two crutches so I don't know what will happen

im having to use the wheelchair to get around when my legs are bad 

• Posted

No, this hasn’t happened to me but I am so glad they did this test and now it’s confirmed what you always thought. Doctors need to listen to their patients more! 

Sending best wishes your way wink

• Posted

Oh dear, Diane that it is a long time to suffer when you had an instinct about it all along.

?I react to some jewellery and mentioned this at the pre-op. I never had any tests but the surgeon decided to order a different knee type, as they usually used ones high in nickel content, to be on the safe side.

?I don't know whether it was a good or bad thing, I've had some struggles with recovery that I won't go into in this reply, but I wondered if the surgeon was more used to installing the other type of knee and whether that mattered. Well, time will tell, I guess.

?They tell us not many are actually seriously reactive to the knee materials but it seems there are quite a few posting about similar on different groups and forums, the test could save a lot of suffering perhaps. I hope you have some resolution to your issues soon, take care.

• Posted

Yes, it was my first and it has been very slow, painful as the pain meds were not suiting me , got scar tissue forming and needed manipulation week 10.

?I'm so sorry that yours gave  you such a lot of trouble and had to be revised. It is such a big op and long recovery that is the last thing we need. I'm hoping mine will be OK in the long term x

• Posted

I knew I was allergic to adhesives, so the Ortho ran an extensive Orthopedic Analysis for metals and bone cement several weeks prior to my TKR. Sure enough, I was allergic to the bone cement...thus he used a cementless. implant. Out of 5,000 TKR, it was the second time he used a cementless implant on a pt. I am one year TKR as of Oct. 19. Still have some tibia pain but knee has full extension and 120-125 bend.

• Posted

you would of thought my surgeon would of checked for allergys for me as I 

have had a lot of surgery on both legs. My right knee I had the cartilage transplant there was a 3 percent of failure and yes that was me, so then they did a knee replacement on my right knee and that one is 4 years old and doing quite well. It's my left knee that has been replaced twice and never been ok.

How is your recovery going are you walking without any sticks ? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.