Allergic to penicillin but given Cefalexin!

Posted , 1 user is following.

I was discharged yesterday after a microdiscectomy and prescribed these to take twice a day for a week even though the hospital knew of my allergic reaction to penicillin.

Took one last night and within two hours was red hot, skin was flashing, covered in a rash and spots and my veins became so prominent, it was like I was lifting 200kg barbells!

The GF was so worried she told me this morning she just kept me talking about anything as I was so *wierd*.

Spoke to the hospital this morning and they apologised for the error!

Si

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

[quote:ff5edb473b=\"Si\"]Spoke to the hospital this morning and they apologised for the error!

[/quote:ff5edb473b]

Oh, well thats alright then :roll: :D

• Posted

Nope but what more can I do - two people have told me I should take it further, to be honest I cannot be arsed at the moment, i've got 6 staples in my back and just want that to get fixed first!

BTW this was my first experience of private medicene! Not a great one if they give the wrong drugs out!

Si

• Posted

You get a higher class of cock up by going private :lol:

Get well soon smile

• Posted

I am also allergic to penicillin but was prescribed Cefalexin buy my GP yesterday having confirmed again my allergy. No ill effects at all so far, and I am HIGHLY allergic to penicillin.
  • Posted

Hi,

i am allergic to penicillin, but been given this antibiotic as the gp told it works well , and whilst some with a penicillin allergy cannot takeit - most are ok and respond well.

Hope you feel better soon !

• Posted

Cefalexin (and I quote)

\"Although it is not generally considered first-line treatment for any indication, it is a useful alternative to penicillins in patients with penicillin hypersensitivity. There is, however, cross-reactivity in 10% of patients with hypersensitivity to penicillins and carbapenems.\"

I.E. it is normally prescribed for people WITH penicillin allergies, so the hospital made no mistake. However 10% of people who are allergic to penicillin are also allergic to cefalexin.

• Posted

I am 69 years of age and have been allergic to penicillin since I was a child. I have now become allergic to erythrymicin, so was prescribed CEFALEXIN. I have been taking it for 3 months (I need long-term antibiotics) with no adverse effects but it will soon be changed for another antibiotic since your body can become used to one type over a period of time and so render it ineffective.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.