Allergic to spider webs

Posted , 4 users are following.

Spider webs effect my eyes. It's weird. Not so much a skin thing but if I proceed to touch an spider web then rub my eyes they swell. Like bad. It took me a couple of years to figure what was making my eyes so mad. Don't remember this being an issue when I was a kid

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Ha.  That is weird but I guess now you know what to do to prevent mad eye disease.  
  • Posted

It's obviously something you don't do any more then so not a problem and to be honest rubbing your eyes is not something I would recommend anyway, that alone will cause irritation and especially if your hands are unclean or have dust particles on them which they will have if you touch a spiders web

• Posted

Any foreign body rubbed into the eyes will cause a reaction so dont rub your eyes.  Especially with spider webs...why would you do that anyway???   Spider webs are sticky and attract all sorts of dust and debris from the air...your eyes will react.  
    • Posted

We'll see that's just it. Never intentionally done. I'm a contractor and alot of dust, dirt and particales flying in the air will get in my eyes causeing my to rub them . I've gotten alot of things in my eyes but never have the reaction as if I touched a web.

• Posted

I suggest you wear protective eyewear, remember spiders webs are created by excrement from an insect.

See your pharmacist and get some eye drops as well

• Posted

I'm definitely going to talk to someone to get some kind of drops or something because itt seems as each time I have this freaky event it gets alittle worse. Sad to say I wear protective eye wear while I work but things still find there way in. For example the other day I finished up a fence and got saw dust in my hair. I come home and used the bathroom took off my shades and a small peice found it's way to my eye. I proceed Ed to get the small particle out right on the tip of my eye lid and wham, my swelled. Just the one eye. That's what's freaky

• Posted

The protective eyewear is a good thing to keep using.  Since dust/dirt also gets all over you and then falls into your eyes I guess I would try wearing a ball cap to keep some stuff out of my hair.  You could also shake off the ball cap during the day to keep it cleaner.  Have you tried any soothing eye drops that one can use daily?  They do not require a prescription.  As suggested, talk to your pharmacist.  It certainly sounds like an allergy and there are OTC medications you could try.  Good luck.  
  • Posted

Ah, now I understand. Thought you were a spider geek.  Agree with all the others,get a cap and some close fitting glasses ie those with a rubber seal to fit close to your face like goggles. Some good ones online at a popular retailer.   Buy some Hypromellose drops for your eyes[artificial tears]. Can be used as often as you like. Dont use eye wash which can be quite drying.

If you are in UK your employer should be providing this sort of equipment as part of health and safety regs...Hard hat as well, probably. If you are self employed it is worthwhile protecting yourself so you dont lose pay due to time off work with eye problems.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.