Allergic to synthetic thyroid,

Posted , 5 users are following.

I WAS ONE OF THOSE WITH A 50% chance of thyroid cancer, so out went my thyroid. its literally been the hardest year of my life. i am allergic to the synthedic thyroid meds. in tablet or gel form. My endocrinologist said that my symptons were not sue to the medication and to consult with the primary. so this is what we found and were able to clinically prove .

labored breathing. my lungs were not taking in sufficient air .

rheumatoid like swelling on my joints, unable to make a fist or hold anything

severe knee joint pains, unable to stand or walk. without a walker

the moment I stop taking the synthetic medication and started ARMOUR (NATURAL DESSICATED THYROID ). I took a full breath of air. the breathing relief was immediate! and my joints are almost back to normal. My ENDOCRINOLOGIST REFUSED to believe me. i later found out that most endos get big reseach money from pharma. this is why they dismiss the NATURAL.

If clinicians are not reporting the patients concerns then how can pharma improve their product? Perhaps there is no interest in improving.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

oh my goodness! You've been through so much. I'm so pleased you are now taking the correct meds. All the best to you.

• Posted

I had a similar issue & switched to the medication Tirosint which is a gel form, no dyes.

• Posted

Just curious, why do you say you had a 50% chance if thyroid cancer?

I'm going to take a wild guess that you're in the US, since England has a form you can fill out and submit to report drug side effects.

You are absolutely correct. Pharma's goal is to make the biggest profit margin- not to make an effective product. Companies must answer to their investors- period. These are business ethics, which do not belong in healthcare.

Your experience is not unusual and there are literally thousands of posts from people struggling with thyroid medication.

There are clinical studies that demonstrate unequivocally that these horrible symptoms are real. I don't understand why these medications are allowed. What because they seem to be ok for one in ten people? That still doesn't mean they're ok longterm. And it goes to reason that the natural meds still would work better for everyone.

• Posted

Honestly, LadyO, after everything I've read, I'm not sure thyroid removal is justified except in very advanced cases. So many people wind up in thyroid hell.

Remove the thyroid gland to rid yourself of a (maybe) 50% chance of thyroid cancer, which if properly monitored is survivable. But doesn't that mean there is a 50% chance of no problems?

Trade a 50% risk for 100% guaranteed thyroid hell for life- huh? Gosh almighty, I'm holding into my thyroid come hell or highwater!

• Posted

When I had mine removed , afterward I heard stories that many researchers established no need to remove the thyroid if the Papillary cancer is smaller that 10mm , (mine was 7mm) furthermore some health agencies tried to reclassify Papillary cancer as benign due to its extremely slow rate of growth . most patients will die in old age of something else instead of Papillary cancer.

Papillary cancer of the Thyroid is present in 2% of the world population , most people will never know and only a minuscule percentage will get somewhat sick from it , very few will die.

I was lucky that Synthroid didn't affect me at all , my transition from my natural thyroid hormones to the artificial was seamless , I didn't notice any difference , only one funny situation ,the first 4 months I had raging erections out of control several times at day and night lasting around 30min to 1 hour vaguely.

I'm glad you found relief with the desiccated type ,it's good to have options.

• Posted

Pattino, THANKYOU!!!!!

You bring up many excellent points. But its do important to consider the rate if growth if abnormal cells. The simple question most people don't consider is, do I have time to investigate alternatives?

There was a time period when I was pretty sure my thyroid was cancerous- the cyst that had been stable previously had begun growing and I felt a sensation of stupid cells.

Instead if rushing out and testing right away, I did some alternative treatments and was able to shrink the cyst, and the sensation of stupid cells had abated. This, of course took time and patience. But when tested, results showed no cancer.

Meanwhile, I'd been on NDT, but later got stuck with levothyroxin because I switched doctors. The levothyroxin made it grow again (like crazy), and now, the longer I've been off the levo, the better I feel.

But now, because of the levo, I keep breaking fingers and metatarsal bones. So every time I work up to a good exercise routine, something breaks and I'm out of commission for months.

I feel like I've been at this long enough that I know better than to try to medicate a side effect with more meds. Has anyone found a way to reverse bone loss?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.