Allergie like rash

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey!

so yesterday I spotted a couple of red spots on the sides of my torso when one side was a little itchy. I have them on both sides and a little on the upper thighs as well.image I have no idea what could have caused that, only thing that I did out of the ordinary was using an air humidifier in the cabin of the ship (I work on a ship). i used tap water from the ship, could that be the cause or should I be worried?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi.I am not a doctor so can't be sure but to me it looks like Molluscum contagiosum sometimes called water warts(someone I know has it now and it looks exactly like yours).They can be itchy sometimes. It is a viral infection of the skin,it can be itchy.It usually goes away within a year but can take longer,I know it's probably not something you wanted to hear. But to be sure just go and see your GP. Hope it helps.

• Posted

thanks for your reply! Can't think of a moment I would have gotten it. Sure hope it's not it.

• Posted

i also want to add that it started pretty much overnight and was instantly aggressive.

• Posted

Do the spots have a dimple in the middle? If yes then its probably Molluscum as Hope has said. your photo is not too clear ,so the only other thing that sprang to mind was Chicken Pox. If you have had CP already, it wont be chicken pox again. if you think it might be CP then it is highly contagious and you should keep away from pregnant women. No specific treatment for either condition as both are caused by viruses and will eventually subside. Dont scratch. Cool baths/showers. Calamine lotion for the spots.

Do see a doctor if you feel very unwell. Dont try to burst or pick at the spots.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply! I feel fine, just a little shook up and nervous about the situation. Well some of them seemed to have dimples in the middles at first, but not now I think. I have rubbed it with Coconut oil etc. and it seems to get somewhat better slowly. and yes I had chickenpox when I was a kid.

• Edited

Also it's worth noting that, I stupidly turned the humidifier to 80% humidity one day before it started. Maybe the humidity woke up some bedbugs or something. (It's a rather old ship) And it was my first time using it.

• Posted

I got a dermatologist appointment tomorrow to try and figure it out

• Posted

So the dermatologist examined the situation and said it was a reactive erythema. Gonna apply cream twice a day and should be fine within a couple of weeks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.