Allergies?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey Everyone. I hope you are all staying safe and well.

Quick question-lately I have been dealing with random bouts of post nasal drip, slight nose congestion, tickling/dry cough. I always feel the need to clear my throat. I have noticed that certain foods (dairy and sugary foods) tend to make it worse. It's just like there is always too much mucus. Not as much as when you are sick with a cold though.

My doctor suggested I try Flonase as it sounds like allergies. Has anyone else had allergies since EBV? I don't remember having random post nasal drip issues like this prior to getting ill. I have even wondered if it's the EBV itself still lingering in my sinuses even though I feel 90% better.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Edited

i have never had allergy problems near as bad as i am since mono diagnosis... pretty sure its gotta be some correlation but they say this is a bad allergy season also

• Edited

It's so strange because when I am sick I usually have issues with excess mucus, but I don't feel sick. I don't have a sore throat, I don't wake up coughing, I don't have aches, fever, etc. It's just these random bouts of post nasal drip that leave me feeling like I always need to clear my throat or have a tickle in my throat and then need to cough. If I sleep on my back it seems to be even worse in the morning, I can feel it going down the back of my throat. I am also throwing away some houseplants that I got this year. I may try going completely dairy free if need be....

• Edited

Yes! since February I have had the worst allergies – so much that we thought it was a sinus infection that I’ve treated twice. But it keeps coming back so I think it’s seasonal allergies. Constant runny nose and sneezing and sinus migraine. I live in a pretty bad area for allergies though so I’m hoping it eases up as we come into May. I have not experienced allergies like this before getting mono two years ago.

• Posted

So frustrating for you I'm sure Lisa. I've also heard that these symptoms can be caused by acid reflux, it may be another avenue for some of us to look down. I notice that when I have this post-nasal drip issue it is worse first thing in the morning and right before bed. Or if I eat dairy.

• Posted

It's so odd you mention that. Ive had a dry cough since November and a doc mentioned silent GERD. He told me to take pepcid and if the cough went away then its likely caused from that. I took it and it went away! And if I try to come off the Pepcid the cough comes back within a couple days. It’s so strange – I have no other symptoms of Gerd.

• Edited

I feel like this virus just left my body so sensitive in general. I still get random stomach aches which did not happen before all this. I'm hoping within the next year my body gets back to normal...fingers crossed! I should try the pepcid!

• Posted

I came here to find a thread about this, since I first got sick it seems like I developed seasonal allergies. My dad has the same kind, so it could have just been a matter of time before something activated them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.