Allergies ? Felling Hopeless and frustrated!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello, I have seen so many doctors ,but nobody seem to help.So I wanted to see if anybody else suffers from the similar issues.

Female, 32 Weight 52 kg , Height 1.65m

I’m having a lot of issues with my nose &eyes . My symptoms started around 4 years ago I’ve started to get small red itchy patches on the different parts of body, they would disappear normally within couple of hours. I was thinking it could be because of my work-it was very dusty and we had low quality dirty AC. I went to doctors ,but they couldn’t help me much.I was given antihistamines –they didn’t work.

It started improving once I’ve changed my job. At that time I lived in nice area ,with woods around and fresh air.(It was my husband’s parents house)

Me and husband bought a new flat 3 years ago .First 6 months seemed to be ok ,but then one day I started to have an issues with my eyes .Especially left eye : Runny, sometimes itchy &painful. I was thinking it might be temporary and left it. I tried some eye drops-nothing helped.I changed my eye make up + stop wearing it for a while-still the same. Then it gradually started to get worse. My eyes was hurting (left eye is always worse) ,I’m struggling to get any drops in as it is very painful to touch.

I was diagnosed with dust allergy. Were told to take antihistamines different drops . I’ve tried all of them-nothing helped so I sttopped altogether .Some days were better than others ,but I started to get used to it. Then 2 yrs ago I started to get eye pain ,like my eyeballs being squeezed (I had pain in my eyes before ,but not permanent –mainly in bright lights and using computers) Now it was there to stay. Deep pain &itchiness was there as soon as I wake up. My nose started to itch too.it’s annoying itching like someone constantly is tickling end of my nose and inside nostrils too. I got so frustrated as it’s there none stop !! This pain and itchiness. My vision is getting blury. I’ve seen many eye doctors ,but they keep telling me I have a dry eye symptom ,and allergy .But none of their advised medicine helps

I’ve seen ENT too,.After few diagnostics he told me that my nostrils are very swollen and I have ‘koncha bullosa’ (middle turbines in nose grows abnormally large and they are filled with air also I have deviated septum .He prescribed two ops- to reduce turbines and shave my septum.He said it will ease my breathing ,but that is not my main problem and I said no to operation. He wouldn’t believe it is allergy caused issue. I have asked him to carry out allergy test. And again-I was allergic to dust. He said that op wouldn’t fix that.

I got dehumidifier ,purifier ,allergy proof bedding ,removed all the carpets , cushions. I’ve had special dry eye tmt wich was £500 each-that didn’t help .My eye glands were checked and I was told that I have quite few dead glands in my left eye and more are dying . It might be environment ,not blinking enough exct. I’m rinsing my nose with saline water ,applying hot/hold compresses . No I don’t do it every day .As most of the time I’m too tired and annoyed to do any of that, as it never helps!

The only time it gets better is when I’m away on holidays! But as soon as i return –it’s all back

My job is 8am-5pm in the office staring at the computer . Lights are very bright. It’s quite dusty here too

My flat is on the very busy road and gets very dusty very quick (we are thinking of relocating).I do clean regulary

My main symptoms are : painful ,itchy ,gritty ,fatigued, sensitive to light eyes .Sometimes I feel like they are sweating . Itchy, swelling nose.Sometimes inside of my nostrils itch too.

I have really bad fatigue because of this every day .As soon I wake up I can feel this crippling itchiness coming on and the eye pain. It makes me sooo angry and frustrated .I’m starting to make mistakes at work as I really really struggle looking at the screen. I feel very very unhappy. And that is the only thing I can think about.

Also I have other health issues what comes and goes:

Stomach pain /a LOT of gas (I burp a LOT)/constipation

Very tensed shoulders ,pain in lower back. Muscle pain.

Bleeding gums quite often.

I’ve been suffering from bad anxiety for 10 years (Few years ago I used to have a lot of panic attacks too)

I'm regulary seeing Psychologist .

I hope somebody has any advice!

Thanks a lot,

Sarah

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Might look around your home and work for mold. If you are part of the 25% of people who are genetically disposed to Biotoxin Illness, CIRS then it can definitely cause all the symptoms you have listed. In the meantime Pazeo is a great allergy eyedrop but can be expensive. Also might need oral antihistamines. If you do have Biotoxin Illness it can cause Thyroid dysfunction, cushings syndrome, mast cell activation. Which mast cell can cause many of your symptoms. Might be worth considering. Best of luck to you.

• Posted

hi sarah,

I have had similar symptoms for about 5 years. I also get head pains and pain in my ears, do you get this also?

they thought initially it was blepharitis, then dust allergies, they just dont know.

• Posted

Thanks for Replies.

I had a lot of allergy tests done. It came back allergic to dust. DR perform a skin prick test too,when applied dust ,my arm started to get really red and swelling.No mould or food allergies.

He said my dust allergy is grade 4 out of 6 so i can't get allergy shots.

Antihistamines doesn't help at all. I have been given new eyedrop which is apparently really good .Doesn't work for me

Nothing seem to work.

keir27782

i don't have ear pain,Mainly eyes ,nose and now head as well and as i mentioned or other stuff 😦

Do you have anxiety ?

• Posted

sarah,

i am feeling quite a bit better recenlty, using salt nasal spray and an ear spray, i reckon you should give it a go??

when i do have a bad day, i take an anti h which tends to take the edge off.

im eating super healthily also.

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

<br>

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

<br>

Dust allergy

<br>

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

<br>

Have you had any prescription medicines for it? For my hay fever I tried every over-the-counter and holistic tablet, nasal spray and eye drop I could buy and nothing worked, it was ruining my life so I went to see my GP and was prescribed Fexofenadine (120mg to start bumped up to 180mg later) combined with Fluticasone Furoate nasal spray (27.5mg) and I was and still am pretty much cured of hay fever for 12 hours and in the evenings it's only mild.

<br> <br>

I would be stern with your GP about having a the shot (assuming you mean steroids) as it is relatively inexpensive to the NHS and it will help prove it's dust allergy related.

<br> <br>

<br>

Photophobia (sensitivity to light)

<br>

<br>

You've seen eye doctors but have you seen an optician about it?

<br> <br>

<br>

Stomach pains

<br>

<br>

Do you drink a lot of green tea? Green tea in large quantities is harmful, especially on an empty stomach.

<br> <br>

Do you take a lot of ibuprofen, asprin or other nsaids? If so, either/and/or; ensure you take them with food,

reduce the amount you take, start taking proton-pump inhibitors with them, like esomeprazole (over the counter) or omeprzole (perscription) to see if that lessens your symptoms.

<br> <br>

Do you eat the same thing/things each day? Try cutting these out to see if you get any better.

<br> <br>

<br>

Back/shoulder/muscle pains

<br>

<br>

Are these symptoms less painful after a weekend or like after a holiday? If so, then it could be your chair & or desk at work.

<br> <br>

<br>

Bleeding gums

<br>

<br>

Brush twice a day and brush your gums as well as your teeth - they will bleed more to start with but after a month or so bleeding will be cured.

<br>

Corsodyl medical mouth wash help with gum issues also.

<br> <br>

Hope at least something here helps you feel better.

<br> <br>

Cheers,

<br>

Ryan

• Posted

Great, that looks nothing like the post preview function... apologies.

• Posted

sorry to hear about your situation. I'm equally frustrated with my situation. i have different symptoms than yours but they are frustrating as well. i get post nasal drip and asthma symptoms. mine started from being exposed to dusts and diesel exhaust in a warehouse. i think that triggered my symptoms. perhaps something triggered yours. i also have anxiety so i wonder if certain people are more allergic that have psychological issues. i ended up taking allergy shots but i only get temporary relief from them.

but if I would you i would get tested for environmental allergies and if you don't want to take antihistamines, you can try allergy shots. i think in Europe they might offer allergy drops under the tongue. i want to try drops to see if I get more relief.

but it sounds like you have an overreactive immune system. i think what you have is treatable.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.