Allergies which may be common to LS sufferers

Posted , 12 users are following.

Just a thought that we might have some stuff in common.  For instance, I am allergic to iodine - anyone else?

I seem to also have a problem with tomatoes and posibly oranges.

3 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Has anybody considered lifestlye choices as well as foods? I used to ride horses a lot, especially dressage, and on tactfully leading the conversion round as to why various people wern't riding any more found several others who had LS. Did the friction from riding have a part to play or did the horse riders become aware of the discomfort sooner? I just wonder do horse and bike riders have a higher incidence

of LS than the general female population?

• Posted

Hi Kate,

I was passionate about horses and rode every week when younger.  Did a lot of cycling too!  You may well be onto something!

• Posted

I had to give up going to the gym, cycling, cross training and swimming due to friction.  Even the treadmill started causing problems. 
  • Posted

That's a very good question, in my opinion, Kate.  I have been on a bicyle practically all my life.  It would be good to compare notes.  Not one to give up soon, I'm still looking for a special bicycle saddle. (anyone?) 
    • Posted

We bought a stationary cycle just before I was diagnosed. I'd have to be even better to get on that thing.
  • Posted

I read that a high oxalate diet would aggravate LS. That's oranges, almonds, things that I love - but I'm not sure I believe it since I've cut out my daily orange and am still miserable. What I need to do is cut back on sugars... Along with being gluten free, lactose intolerant, and following a warfarin diet, I may disappear. 
    • Posted

!!

going gluten free and avoiding toxins by just eating real food helps a lot...the cure requires a greater depth ....but an alround balanced diet is best ...just organic...otherwise we can't eat anything!

whats a warfarin diet?

• Posted

In May, I was diagnosed with blod clots in my legs and have been taking blood thinners (Warfarin/Coumadin) since then. Eating certain foods, specifically those high in vitamin K, reduces the efficacy of the drug. So, I have to be careful not to eat too much spinach, broccoli, definitely avoid cranberry juice, etc.  When I think about all of it, the Celiac, LS, and blood clots, I feel like I'm falling apart.... I'm only 49.
    • Posted

Hi T-top,

I wish you were right about oranges.  I have had to give them up altogether, as they have such a bad effect on my LS.  Sweet things also cause an immediate flare-up with me and, upon listening to others, I have more or less given up tomatoes, which I adore.  It all seems so unfair, but no point moaning. 

Best of luck!

• Posted

Hi again T-top,

Forgot to say thank you on the information about warfarin.  I had no idea there were foods that had an adverse effect on the drug and we eat a lot of broccoli in this house.  My husband is subject to clots and is on warfarin for life.

• Posted

Hi Wendy, i'm sorry for any confusion… Your husband can absolutely have broccoli but just in moderate doses and consistently. His warfarin will be adjusted to accommodate his diet. Please do not stop eating broccoli! My family ate broccoli maybe once a week and it's better to have it two or three times in small doses, so it was easier for me to just stop it altogether. But I do miss it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.