Allergies with SS

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

With allergy season right around the bend, I wanted to know how some of you deal with nasal congestion being that allergy meds makes dryness so much worse. Apparently I'm allergic to every tree and plant in my state. The last allergist i visited, was hesitant to put me on any treatment because if the dryness at the time. Since then, I have been diagnosed with RA but not SS. The MTX has helped alot with my swelling esp in my nose but its still not 100%. I now only feel dryness in my nasal passages but only when congestion occurs and that just an allegic reaction. Don't want to aggrevate anything else since Im starting to feel some relief. Any recommendations on allergy treatments? Nasal sprays like Flonase? Anything is appreciate. Not sure which forum to use. SS or RA

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Der Nutothis.  You need to buy a netipot (get it on Amazon) basically it flushes all the congestion goo out of nasal passages - works like a dream - you have to do it every day though.   Also drink several cups of ginger and lemon tea every day.  
    • Posted

Thanks elisabeth, i have tried this. Unfortunately it hasn't been as effective as I would wish it to be. The after affect sucks out the remaining moisture in my nose (. Haven't tried it again in fear. Will keep it in mind though. Maybe the second times a charm. Do you take any meds for allergies?

• Posted

I find a Neti pot helps if I have been outside all day. As a daily maintenance med I use Flonase, I prefer that to any OTC allergy meds, they dry me up too much.  Hope you find what works for you.
  • Posted

Try doing a saline washout twice a day, this will help a lot.
    • Posted

Mucinex D will thin mucus and help it to drain also, I do the washout and it.
  • Posted

Hiya nu2this, I always put a lil wool fat or even Vaseline up my nose just a bit on your little finger and line your nostrils, or use a cottonwool bud,  it coats the nostrils, you don’t even know it’s there,and it catches any pollen etc, from going anywhere, it sticks to it, you just use a hanky to clean it out, I use it everyday in this silly season. We’ve had it really bad this summer here in Australia.  I  was told by my dr and for once something works. Hope this help, anything is worth a try, be blessed have a lovely day,💐💐😍

• Posted

Thank you Christine. Never heard of this treatment hear in the states but anything is worth a try. Has it helped you with the congestion as it catches the pollen or only the dryness? I usually spray my nostrils with saline but its almost immediately absorb. The strange thing is that my Rheumy doesn't believe I have SS because I produce saliva on my own. I do have RA according to him. Do you have this issue or are you limited in the production of saliva?

• Posted

I don’t get congestion-this really works-I use a mouth spray for dryness over the counter and drops or spray for dry eyes-pharmacies are good for recommending over the counter meds. Hope you find something that works for you Nu2this.😍😍💐

• Posted

Thanks Christine, you're lovely. I do spray saline a few times a day but that only relieves the dryness temporarily. The congestion is still there. My question to anyone on this forum with SS, is if they take any type of nasal allergy sprays usually prescribed by an Allergist and does it work or worsen dryness both in the nostrils and throat? I was diagnosed with RA and am dealing with inflammation and believe the allergies aggrevate the inflammation and dryness so this is why I wanted to know if allergy nasal sprays have been effective for anyone. Thanks Christine and whoever is willing to answer. Have a blessed day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.