Allergy medication effect on Meniere's

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been dealing with fullness in my ears the last week. My doctor recently diagnosed me with Meniere's because I have all the classic symptoms. My eyes were itching earlier today so I took a Benadryl pill. The fullness and ringing in my ears is gone the doctor originally prescribed a diuretic and a steroid and a low sodium diet. Though the effects of a low sodium diet and the diuretic have made me look fantastic ( lol). They've done nothing for my ear symptoms.

Is it possible that the allergy pill helped my ear? Has anybody else had similar effects?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

My allergies play a huge part with my MD symptoms.  I take Allegra and Singular everyday to help.  I truly believe the Allegra helps especially. I also am on a diuretic and low salt diet. But do not take a steroid daily. 

Willow

• Posted

My ENT put me on a steroid that did nothing for me but once taking the Benadryl all of sudden my ear pain and fullness was gone and then I'm going to talk to him about prescribing me something. He also put me on a low sodium diet which is very hard to do especially since I'm a musician who's on the road traveling a lot so I try to stay within the confines of the daily us recommendation is sodium which is 2300 mg. I don't eat much processed or packaged food anyways but while touring is a lot of stops restaurants which is really hard to do especially when you're needing to get a quick bite. I'm hoping that whatever allergy medication I may be prescribed can help alleviate some of that worry about eating on the road. I'm playing one of the cruise festivals in a week and that's brought on a lot of anxiety which also triggers my attacks.

• Posted

Hello Jennasyde, I would say that anything is possible when it comes to medicine, I suffer from severe allergies as well, I take a tablet , and use two different nasal sprays each day to help with allergy symptoms. I have personally have not noticed my allergy meds helping any of my meniere's symptoms. But as I said anything is possible. If your allergy med is helping that great, the main thing is that you feel better. 

Bertman 

• Posted

Yes Jenna, allergies have a lot to do with my symptoms also. I take an allergy pill every day, a diuretic, and betahistine. I still have attacks, but less severe than the drop attacks I was having. Good luck with your problem.

• Posted

Do you still get the fullness in your ears taking the betahistine? My first symptoms that an attack is coming in the ear pressure for anywhere from a day to a week. When I stopped drinking coffee and taking stimulants the attacks subsided. I've only had two minor attacks since November that were very manageable. But every attack always has the ear fullness first.

• Posted

I always have ear fullness in my right ear, and have lost 80% of the hearing in that ear.
    • Posted

Yes Jenny, I take betahistine too. And my attacks usually begin with pressure in both ears. I am now in a diuretic which has helped. I keep a strict low sodium diet and don’t drink anything but water.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.