Allergy meds and wheezing

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I have tried taking allergy medicine (Zyrtec in the U.S.). I have just started wheezing with the chronic bronchitis. I find that the Zyrtec seems to reduce the wheezing substantially. Has anyone experienced this?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mary Terese,

Had much the same experience.  We are at the height of mthe Hayfever,high Pollen count here in the UK and I was suffering from increased wheezing and asthma like spasms.

Our local COPD pulmary rehab' nurse reccomended an antihistimine (I used Benadryl) and the improvement was quite dramatic.  Would reccomend it to anybody.  A simple and logical action but totally forgotten.

Glad it worked for you as well

Take care.

Michael

• Posted

Thank you, Michael. It is also high pollen count here too. I am amazed at the difference. I wonder if it also works to some degree after the allergy season? The results are quite amazing.
  • Posted

The best thing I have ever done for my copd is taking an anti-histamine every day! I am feeling so much better. For over 30 years I have been prescribed beconase nasal spray as my sinus' have always been blocked/swollen-maybe if I had thought of taking these earlier many of my symptoms would have been easier.I have been taking Cetirizine daily for about 5 weeks, doing a nasal rinse if I feel congested. I'm going to continue to use them daily and so pleased you have had a reduction in your symptoms too Maryterese smile
    • Posted

That is great news. I have a sinus infection and doc said to continue the allergy medicine also.
  • Posted

Glad you have found something to help,bronchitis is nasty.i have only ever taken salbutamol,and too tropism .im in the UK 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.