Allergy or Intolerance, onions and garlic

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

I have experienced problems after eating garlic, onion and spring onion. It starts with an odd sensation in my mouth, my face puffs up then some time later I have bloating, dashing to the toilet. I also feel drowsy. So far I have kept a note of what I eat, if the symptoms reoccurred when the food was reintroduced. They did. It happens whether or not the food is cooked or raw. I don't have problems if I prepare onions or garlic, it takes affect once it has been ingested. I wondered if anyone has similar reactions to the onion family?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

yes my dau-in-law avoids the onion family at all costs because of an allergy.  you should be careful. see an allergist because your reaction could get worse.  my son carries an epi-pen for his allergic reactions to three nuts, fish and others. 
    • Posted

Hi

Thank you, good point. I've never had many problems with old, other than chocolate as a migraine trigger. . I read labels on everything now, garlic and onion in various forms seem to be added a fair bit to all sorts of foods for flavour.

Regards

Sue

• Posted

hi, this is Dr Arora

Yes it is allergic reaction to onion. the best waty to prevent that you should keep a distence from onion. And most importantaly go for a allergy test. In this test you have to give a blood sample and this blood sample is tested with about 250 different daily used products(nuts, almond,wheet floor, dust, pollution, any fruit or vegetables etc..)  it will show the  allergy to different products and even your body senstivity either it is less or more and than only go for a treatment plan..

• Posted

Hi

Thank you, good advice. I think I could do with getting screened. Other than chocolate triggering migraines I'd never had problems with reactions to foods before. My daughter is dairy intolerant. So perhaps I'm a later starter with a latent history.

Regards

Sue

• Posted

the thing to remember is that allergies can just start out of the blue.  plus they can leave just as fast. my son has asthma so he has to be expecially careful of what he eats.  best of luck to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.