Allergy or intollerance?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I'm new to this site and see some very interesting discussions with lots of advice.  Thought i'd share my experience in the hope of finding some answers.  I have been suffering with puffy/swollen eyes, blocked nose all night, cough for many years.  I know this could be dust mite allergy but I also often wake up with a sore throat, swollen glands, sore mouth and sore throat.  Sometimes my head, neck aches and often my hands and joints are sore. I think some of this may be due to foods.  For example if I eat salt and vinegar crisps this happens, foods with pepper or chilli, wine, crunchy nut cornflakes.  The problem is my GP says he doesn't think it's an allergy as my tongue and throat do not swell.  I feel like I have hay fever already.  But the GP has referred me to addenbrookes allergy clinic.  SHould I keep a food diary before going?  I feel like this may be several things going on.  Does anyone know if the allergy will test with a blood test or by skin prick?  

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I guess the same rules applies in most Countries. (My guess though, from what I've been able to learn from the web).

Here in Sweden, they want you to do/live as you're used to, at the first visit to the Clinic. I guess it has to do with ruling out each possible reason there might be, one by one, that's affecting you in your everyday life.

Why not call or email your Clinic to get a more specific answer?

It will make you more mentally and physically prepared before the appointment.

Just a thought. 😊

Hope it made any sense. 😊

• Posted

hi there,

hmmm could be a histamine intolerance. Several foodstuff contains histamine like wine, fruits, vegetables, cheese.. basicly everything  which ripens. So every single time if you eat or drink sth histamine rich your body reacts with a allergic reaction. But nowadays there are many solutions, for example dietary supplements (I'm using Daosin, thats why I know everything) which avoids the allergic reaction as controlling your histamine level in your body.

best of luck!

• Posted

Yes,, it's a good idea to keep a food diary. 

The skin prick test is better than the blood test, but they only test you for the very common things. Not everything. But it's a good start and hopefully it will help to figure out what's causing those reaction.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.