Allergy testing

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been reading way back in the discussion topics and there is so much about food and elimination diets to figure out triggers. Has anyone ever gone to an allergist for testing? I know I'm allergic to nuts, peanuts and legumes, but I wonder if I couldn't ask to be tested for nightshades?

Thanks

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I was tested some years ago. It was after I'd already worked out my link with dairy, and I just had a generic test when I was at a health fair. It didn't involve taking blood, it was all with some electronic device. It did show up that i'm intolerant to dairy, plus a few other surprising things!

?I'm pretty sure you can ask for specific things to be tested.

• Posted

I paid £150 with a private clinic to get my bloods done and It came back clear for the basic food groups.

• Posted

I went for an allergy test at the health food shop. Found out I can't eat gluten wheat barley or have aspiratine the sugar replacement. Very interesting as I had blood tests before and were all clear. Would recommend to anyone to get test done x

• Posted

I'd recommend having it done too. It can provide a starting point to trying to take control of your health.

• Posted

I'm definitely interested in whether people find they have allergies and if those allergies could damage the gut and or create the HS symptoms. The gluten one is interesting as it could damage the gut. However a small percentage of the population have gluten intolerance and a small percentage have HS, and I don't suspect they overlap very much?? Interested to know as this would have been a massive oversight for years.

My feeling is that it's more of a food intolerance than an allergy that will be identified.

• Posted

I agree, it's more of an intolerance than an allergy. The effects of an allergy are immediate and usually severe. With an intolerance the effects are milder and often it's only over a long time that they make themselves known.

• Posted

My testing included wheat and gluten and I didn't show an intolerance for either of them. I had already identified a link between dairy and my HS, and my tests showed that yes, I have dairy intolerance.

?

• Posted

Also blood tests didn't show it up it was test at health shop

• Posted

I didn't have blood tests either, I just had it done at a health fair and it was a sort of electronic device. But I think it was just as effective as blood tests. I'd encourage people to do it.

• Posted

Yes that's what I had the electric device that's what picked it up but had blood tests and that didn't

• Posted

I think the medical and scientific world would say that blood tests reveal the most accurate picture, and that if a blood test doesn't show an intolerance then it doesn't exist, but I don't agree with that. The body is subtle, it reacts in ways that don't follow a medical "template", and I think that all the different ways of testing have credibility.

?Even if you don't get tested at all, but find that avoiding certain foods brings changes, then that is valuable.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.