Allergy to cobalt chrome in new knee

Posted , 5 users are following.

It’s been over two years now since I had a TKR and boy have I  suffered. The whole experience has not only left me unable to walk or balance  properly but it’s destroyed my natural energy. 

I am beginning to wonder if I’m allergic to one of the metals  used (cobalt chrome)

I think it would have to be a special kind of test to find out if I am, or whether  any little shards of cobalt have gone into my system. Apparently it’s filtered out the water in some South American country because it’s poisonous? I live in the Midlands so if anybody knows how I could get tested please let me know 

Am I talking rubbish?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I was tested for the three most common metals used in knee replacement joints at an allergy doctor's office. I had an allergy reaction to the dermabond glue and the absorbable sutures so I will be getting tested for cement used to glue joint into bone and anything else used during surgery because I ended up in a wheelchair for ten months due to arthrofibrosis. I am 11 months post op and starting to walk with a crutch and in a pool to rebuild muscle and stamina before the other knee replacement. 

More people are having allergic reactions so it's smart to get tested.

Good Luck!

• Posted

Allergic reactions to inserted prosthesis, wow, another thing to worry about!

If that material is filtered out in South America's drinking water, it is something that it is used as a prosthesis.  M understanding is that the body would through circulatory reactions, would pick up molecules and carry it through the body. Also, as previously mentioned, check for the glue material, screws used..if any, and an plastics.

If you recall, years ago, 'mercury' was used in dental fillings.  It was found out later, people who had these mercury fillings demonstrated mercury poisoning, and these fillings was then replaced with amalgimine, or whatever.

It is interesting that manufactures would use something that is potentially dangerous. It must save them money somehow. Also, most metals used from my experience is usually titanium, or stainless steel.

Also, worth to note.  Chrome on my cars wheels do not last forever, from what car guys tell me.  Within a certain amount of time, it wears done and flakes. So that to me sounds like another concern with your TKR.

Take care........ 

• Posted

There is still a very small amount of mercury in amalgam fillings. That's what amalgam fillings always have been. 

Marilyn 

XX

• Posted

Hi Mary

I was aware that I was allergic to various metals and am due to have a TKR.

I therefore requested allergy testing which was carried out in a nearby NHS  hospital. It was confirmed that I am allergic to both nickel and cobolt, which is what most joint replacements are made off. 

My surgeon thought there was still nothing to worry about, but through this website, I found people who had had titanium joint replacements, and also a different surgeon who used them. 

My new surgeon looked at my allergy results, and immediately recommended a titanium joint. I am booked in with him to have the operation in June. 

Most surgeons dismiss the issue of allergic reactions to metal implants, as many patients who are allergic to nickel etc. have no problems. But it is acknowledged that some do, and particles of the metal can enter the blood stream causing local swelling and general ill health. 

I realise that this post is not terribly helpful as you already have had your TKR carried out. However, I would suggest that you have allergy testing carried out to confirm whether or not you do have an allergy to nickel and cobolt. At least then, if there is no allergy you could rule this out in your current dilemma. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.