Allergy to penicillin

Posted , 2 users are following.

About 2 weeks ago I visited my local GP after having chest pain, he said that it was a chest infection and gave me antibiotics (Amoxcillin) to clear it. However, after taking them for a week I came out in a rash all over my body and i had a really sore throat. So I went back to my doctor who said that I had had an allergy to Penicillin which was in the antibiotics I had been taking for the last week. He gave me antihistamines and told me to take one a day for a whole month. HOWEVER! when i got up the next morning my face had swollen and my throat was so sore that I could hardly breathe! So I had to make another appointment with my doctor who told me to take three antihistamines rather than one, she also gave me 4 days dose of steroids to reduce the swelling and some cream to help the itchiness.

the rash had cleared after about 4 to 5 days and I was able to go back to work. I finished my tablets completely yesterday and today im starting to come back out in a faint rash, its no way near as bad as what it was and its only appearing on my chest, hands and arms. my face has also been bright red since having the rash (almost like really bad sunburn) and my hands are super itchy!

I honestly don't really know what to do next... I thought that after a week of the medication that the rash would go, but thats really not the case... should I make another appointment with my doctor?

Has anyone else had an allergic reaction like this? If so, how long did it take to clear? Or could it be something else not relating it!?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.