Allergy to [processed] sugars?

Posted , 3 users are following.

So I've been having this issue for a while and I honestly cannot remember when it even started. I have this issue with eating sugary foods, and I think it's an allergy but I'm not entirely sure. Especially because diabetes runs in my family (I'm 18). I've been meaning to see a doctor about this but my mother keeps switching medical groups and I don't even know who is my primary doctor right now. 

Anyways, every time I eat sugary foods (cookies, cake, pancakes, candy, any sweets or any foods with processed sugars) I get pretty bad allergic reactions, or so I think they're allergic. The first thing is that I get nauseous shortly after eating them, maybe 30 minutes to an hour I feel extremely sick. Then I get fatigued. Then over the course of the next few days I'll wake up with really bad swollen eyes, dry as the mojave, my face so incredibly dry it hurts and no oil will soothe it. Then I get patches and hives all over my body. And theres this one spot on my scalp, near my hairline, that always gets incredibly itchy to the point where I will itch it until it bleeds, and I notice I only get that when I'm having too much sugar. 

I'm not unfamiliar to allergies, I'm allergic to most seeds and nuts; peanuts, cashews, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, etc. And also shellfish. 

My mother did a blood sugar test and it came out fine, I should mention.

I've been limiting processed sugars and sugary foods as much as I possibly can, the most being honey in my tea. 

So I'm just a bit confused.  

2 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I think your very candid about the harm that sugar in foods can do to our health.

i am glad to hear that you are intentionally staying away from sugary foods including carbs that thru body is processed into sugar.

staying with fresh foods will keep you from falling into all the traps of sugar addiction.

• Posted

You are 18 so why are you not seeking medical intervention on your own.

I advise getting a referral for allergy testing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.