Allopurinol

Posted , 4 users are following.

Following two gout attacks in 6 months my doctor prescribed Allopurinol as a defense against further attacks. After taking this for two days my bp has risen from 140/75 to 175/80. The data sheet gives that high blood pressure is a rare side effect. Sure has scared me so I've given it up. Anyone else had this reaction?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I've never taken allopurinol.  I've used celery seed, which works, and has not raised my BP at all.  Google for more on celery and celery seed.

But what about those BP numbers, that's a pretty huge gap between systolic and diastolic, have you talked to a doctor about that - or tried some other meters?

• Posted

Allopurinol has horrible side effects.  I stopped taking it due to weight gain, severe rash and elevated BP.   That’s the problem with medicine.  It takes care of what it was prescribed for, yet it creates other problems that require additional medication.  I control my gout by eliminating alcohol and moderation of high purine food groups.  My Uric acid number is higher now but no flare ups so far in a year’s time.
  • Posted

I never took Allopurinol but I haven't had any more gout attacks since I've been taking celery seed extract, standardized at 85 % 3nB (the compound that makes if work), 75 mg. twice a day.  You might consider trying this.  It is reasonable, safe and effective.

• Posted

Thanks for the replies. Having stopped  Allopurinol my bp is coming down and have an appointment to see GP in a weeks time. I'll try the celery seed.

Regarding bp normal level, at my age of 83, GP doesn't seem concerned.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.