Allopurinol and gout attackes

Posted , 43 users are following.

Hi. Any help or advise would be really appreciated please. After having regular gout attacks my doctor has put me on allopurinol. I had to take colchicine for 2 weeks before I started taking one tablet (100mg) of allopurinol per day. I had to continue on the colchince along side the allopurinol for a further 2 weeks in case the allopurinol caused a gout attack (which it did) I had numerous attacks in two months but had no pain relief from the doctor except paracetomal. I had a blood test after 2 months on allopurinol then the doc raised the allopurinal to 200mg per day, still didn't prescribe additional pain relief. I am due another blood test in early december but i'm not sure i am going to continue on the allopurinol as the attacks have been constants since i have been taking 200mg. I have had severe attacks in my toe, then ankle, most recently in my keft elbow and index finger, which were both inflamed and painfully unbearable. my finger was so swollen i went to nhs direct who prescribed diclofenac. when this attack was finally subsiding the gout decided to attack my right shoulder , after speaking with nurse at my doctors surgery i was prescribed dihydrocodeine, along side paracetamol and ibrobrufon. I know i have come a long way on the allopurinol but the thought of the doctor raising the allopurinol again after my next blood test brings me out in a sweat. I don't know how much longer i can bear the pain. I am getting anxious, short tempered and basically quite depressed now. any advise would be really, really appreciated. Thanks.

SYFY

6 likes, 116 replies

116 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

thanks James

as said - my uric acid levels seem to have responded to 100mg of allopurinol a day but I got yet another attack last week.

just want to know why I am getting attacks when my uric acid levels have been in the normal region for a while

anybody have similar?

• Posted

What is normal level? Give me an accurate number. Lot oo idiot docs out there who think normal level for non Gout person is same as a Gout person. When were the readings taken? During an attack?
    • Posted

306 micromol/Litre at last test after a month free of attacks - got attack soon after however - do the crystals stay in the blood stream and move about and get "stuck" in places when they start to get smaller - hence causing attacks? I am just hoping that over time with the lower concentration of uric acid in my blood any previosly existing crystals will vanish?
    • Posted

Herbal, or whatever you prefer, will melt the crystals I don't think they

are roamers ,they tend to gang up arond joints, so they can cause more

aggro.

• Posted

Could be if you checked your diet, purins add to the making of crystals

Google     Diet for Gout sufferes. Lots of advise on there

• Posted

thanks for input....

Allopurinol supposedly stops uric acid being made (from purines or anywhere else) in the body - so although I do watch my diet I am still rather hoping the allopurinol will take care of uric acid formation.

I still do't understand that if my uric acid levels have gone down then WHY are crystals still forming (if they aren't old crystals roaming as you suggest)

Fed up because I am doing everything right - ie eating with care and rarely consuming alcohol and taking allopurinol and having low uric acid levels now - YET I still get attacks

• Posted

You sound as though you are stressing yourself out with this.

Go to the diets ,and just check .Meat and offal is generally not good for

gout .Walking will help Have you got any woodlands nearby ? 

• Posted

thanks jacqueline

I have read everything ever written on the subject of diet! and I have been following as much as reasonable and I still get attacks - therefore I began the allopurinol which HAS lowered acid yet I STILL get attacks

and I am sure you know - attacks can be EXREMELY painful so no wonder I am stressing myslef out as you say

• Posted

306 µmol/L = 3.46mg/dL. Your readings should be under 6mg/dl and preferabbly under 5mg/dl so you are good on that front. During an attack if you do a blood test the readings can show low so those readings should not be taken into consideration with regards to your normal state levels.I assume your reading was taken when not having an attack? Maybe initially get them tested every 6 months. Once you are good like me then once a year should do.

You have probably old crystal deposits in different parts of the body from many years of build up. If you maintain lower blood uric acid levels the deposits will dissolve over time (not magically in 1 month lol, can take even year).

And yes lower blood uric acid levels can make these crystals float in your blood and move to different areas (joints, bones, muscles, tendons) which is what causes people to have new attacks when they go on meds like Allopuriol. It basically means the med is doing it's job and gradually loosening and getting rid of the deposits!

Think of a water wipe with years of internal dirt build up. When you use cleaning agents the dirt comes off initially and causes messy water before it becomes nice and clean.

Regarding diet, Allop is a med not houdini. So say Allop lowers your blood uric acid levels by 2mg/dl but your lifestyle choices increases the levels by 2-3mg/dl, what happens? You are back to square one or worse....new deposits forming and new attacks or a future health time bomb building up.

Make no joke GOUT CAN BE A KILLER IF LEFT UNTREATED!

So ideally do what I am doing, have an excellent diet and take Allopurinol. If you can't be vegetarian atleast stay away from organ meats and hard alcohol.

Or take homeopathy etc meds if you want to screw up your health :-)

I would definitely up the Allop to 300mg for a year or so. If afterwards 100mg is enough to maintain the under 5mg/dl levels then move down to 100mg Allop.

You should not stop taking it though ever. It is one of the cheapest meds out there.

Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks Goutbuster for the comprehensive reply - most appreciated. I used to drink quite a lot and love it so there is no chance I am going to stop altogether - I have a pint of lager every second day with a scotch on every other day - hope my system can cope with that (for me) tiny amount of booze!

Will keep you posted

• Posted

Just been re-reading comments here.....

so many people say they watch their diet (avoiding purines mainly) and take things like cherry juice, cider vinegar etc etc and they are also on Allopurinol....

what I DON'T understand is this: if so many people blame diet and therefore have a miserable life totally avoiding red meat, booze etc then please can somebody tell me what the point is in taking allopurinol as well???? Surely the whole point of allopurinol is to lower acid levels in the blood that causes the gout.

And if the allopurinol succeeds in lowering uric acid then you shouldn't get gout?

• Posted

Every ones body reacts differently .I do NOT take any prescription drugs

for Gout  For me .herbal remedies take  care of it.  I don't eat red meat.,

but I do eat liver now and then ,and I really don't worry about the acid

levels.  I'm sorry that you are being caused so much stress with your gout ,i don't think that chemicals is the answer, 

• Posted

I have done the gout diet now for 10  months. It took about 3-4 months and I started feeling better and better as time went on. I'm not taking any medicine. I tried allopurinol and had a bad reaction to it, probably because I was in a gout condition to begin with. But now I do have red meat  and sausage occationally about 2 times a month. But I eat mostly vegetables and fruits. Probably 5-6 fruits and 12 vegetables per day. Most of the vegetables are in a salad. And I don't have a salad every day, but I have at least 4 per week now started with 6 while trying to rid myself of the gout. I feel great now and it seems that fruits and vegetables taste better all the time. I had shrimp the other night but not too many or very often. Just stay more alkaline than acidic by controling what and how much you eat. It's worked so far. Good luck with your gout. PS I'm down 15 lbs. and I walk about 3.2 miles a day.
    • Posted

You don't think chemicals are the answer but you take a herbal remedy. Assuming that there is any physiological action at all by the herb - that to is "chemicals."

• Posted

You have understood it perfectly. Others haven't.

• Posted

Good point. I take Allopurinol and eat and drink what I want. In fact my doctors have no interest in diet, and have told me that the drugs will sort things out. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.