Allopurinol and loss of sex drive/function?

Posted , 6 users are following.

OK, so I recently went to the doctor as I was experiencing some fairly rapid weight gain and a bit of a lower sex drive. I'm a 28 year old male and never had an issue in the sex department up until this point.

After running 2 separate rounds of blood work, the doctor told me that my uric acid was fairly high and that I had gout and low testosterone. I started treatment for both within the past week (Allopurinol and Androderm), and my sex drive has gone from low to literally non existent. Up until I started treatment, I was still able to function, I just wasn't as in the mood. Now, I am not only not in the mood at all, but I literally cannot function sexually.

I have been extremely frustrated and now I'm beginning to get paranoid as well. I never really had "gout attacks" before other than some ankle pain once in a while from an old hockey injury and a knee that bothers me sometimes if I sit too long in the same position. I've asked my doctor if she was sure it was gout and that she was sure it wasn't anything else or a precursor to anything else and she assured me it wasn't, but I can't help feeling as though something is missing here.

Perhaps I am being paranoid, but I also am beginning to get very frustrated and upset that I cannot function. My doctor also told me that loss of sex drive/function is not a side effect on Allopurinol, but after doing some research online, I have noticed that other people have had similar problems.

I am way too young to have this issue and it is killing every ounce of confidence I have left in my body. This is not fair to me or my wife, who has been very understanding about this so far. 

I guess I just want to know if anyone else has been in this position taking this medication, and if it gets better? If not, what can I do to fix this? Will this be permanent even if I stop taking the Allopurinol? I simply cannot deal with this issue long term.

I have told my doctor about this and she simply told me to give the low testosterone some time to "kick in", but it has been days since that conversation and I still don't feel even remotely better.

I am desperate, I don't know what else to do. It is beginning to drive me insane. 

Somebody please tell me this will get better.

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

With Androderm, treatment typically begins to work some time before the 3rd week, but response becomes more noticeable after the first month. As for gout sufferers 1 in 10,000 men are affected by erectile dysfunction. This information is coming from a Testerone Medical Center in Texas.

It should get better if you continue taking the Androderm but if you're still the same after a month then go back to your doctor. Yet, I think you need some patience to allow the medication to work, let it do it's job rather than causing yourself frustration. I hope this information helps you a little. Take care.

• Posted

I was mostly just concerned that this started happening immediately after I started taking the Allopurinol. I've never experienced this before.

• Posted

This support Sochima's advice:

"How Long Before Low Testosterone Therapy “Kicks In” — The Short Answer

Understanding that there is no hard fast rule here, most patients feel significant improvement in symptoms within 4-6 weeks of starting treatment for Low T.

It is common for symptoms like low sex drive and difficulty maintaining sleep to respond sooner. On the other hand, factors like obesity, chronic illness, or medications can make one’s response slower or more subtle at first."

• Posted

I've read similar things. I just find it strange that as soon as I started taking this Allopurinol everything changed so drastically. It's really doing a number on my psyche.

• Posted

Strange, I take Allopurinol, and whilst I still fancy young good looking women, I'm not really that interested in my wife. Is this the drug, or is it that my wife is a bit overweight and very ugly !!

• Posted

Hi

Its now been three weeks.... are you noticing any improvements?

• Posted

Have you thought about:

a) are you gay?

b) a divorce?

:-)

• Posted

Hey rusty,

I have actually had some improvements. I'm still not back to 100%, yet, at least, but I've been feeling much better and things have improved for sure. Thanks for checking up!

• Posted

Definately not gay. Didn't even know gay people could get gout lol

• Posted

Thank you!

One of the funniest comments I've heard in a long time. Unfortunately in 2016 it'll probably get deleted.

Thanks though.

• Posted

All this sex stuff is overated anyway. The best night is a few pints up the pub, and Indian takeaway, a few glasses of wine, and watching match of the day in bed. Oh, and don't forget to take your medication !!

• Posted

It's okay for you to say that, you're 88, while this young lad is 28 with a young hormone drenched wife! Match of the Day might do it for you, but not her! :-)

• Posted

I think the Allopurinol is affecting your memory, Pain is not 88 and you're not 28, but then neither is Pain, LOL.

• Posted

The young lad is Tooyoungforthis, and he is 28 and he is recently married.
    • Posted

Oh, I misinterpretted when you said this young lad, I thought you were referring to yourself being 28.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.