Allopurinol & decreased sperm volume

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been taking 300mg Allopurinol for a few months now, and suddenly my sperm production has dropped significantly. Is this a common side effect with the medication? Would it be worth mentioning to my GP on our next visit?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I've never heard of it. Depends on your age I suppose. If you're in your fifties it's entirely normal (change of life). How do you know it's dropped if you haven't seen a doctor?

• Posted

Both allopurinol AND colchicine are known to reduce sperm and semen quantity in most users. This is reversed in stopping taking the drugs in under 90 days. 

10/10 for noticing!

• Posted

As this is reversed in approx 90 days, what are the health implications of stopping Allopurinol? Would it be an increased likelihood of an attack or something more sinister?
  • Posted

Allopurinol will increase your chance of an attack for most people for 5-13 months (depends on how long it takes to flush out the monosodium urate in your body. There are some people who take up to 33 months, but attacks will decline sharply.

After that attacks will be rare.

The down side of not taking allopurinol are inflammation through the entire body leading to a marked increase in blood vessel issues, heart attack and stroke; as well as kidney disease and some cancers. Gout itself will cause damage to the affected joints. Also risk of trophy’s.

Standard therapy is to give colchicine to stop the gout attacks as soon as they begin. I’m 2 years or so into taking allopurinol, my trophus have gone, and I cannot remember the last attack I had. I used to have pins and needles in my hands and arms - that’s gone too. I’d kid the guy who invented allopurinol (I say that knowing the drug is 70 years old and the inventor is long gone)

NB do not take allopurinol if you have kidney problems or if you are of Han Chinese | Thai | Korean ancestry. If you have a skin reaction in the first couple of weeks stop taking it and seek medical help. 

• Posted

Do you mean sperm or seaman ?

Either way, it's not something I have heard of

• Posted

Seamen (sic) would certainly be easier to count; however from memory the research was a reduction in both sperm count and semen volume.

The reason I suspect that this reduction is not highlighted is

a) most people on it aren’t trying to procreate;

b) human ejaculate contains 200-250 million sperm - we can afford to lose a few;

c) many doctors don’t even bother to read the important stuff about allopurinol, so you can  hardly expect them to bother with the small print.

• Posted

So if a person wanted to have a child whilst taking Allopurinol, would they need to come off the meds or should they still produce enough to not have any problems?
    • Posted

For most men, in decent health even with the knock down effect of allopurinol - they’ll be okay I suspect: “only one needs to get through.”

The age and health and fertility of the potential mother is very important. If the woman is having periods on a 28 day cycle she’s probably fertile; deviations from 28 days indicate lesser fertility.  Age is of course a significant factor in female fertility. (It is in men too, but less).

• Posted

Seriously, it's not a problem, but from a broader point of view, the planet is horribly overpopulated by human beings, so don't worry about it. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.