Almost 1 year post tkr... New problem now

Posted , 5 users are following.

Went to dr for a knee check up. I had only one concern. There is a small hard bump on new knee. He was puzzled him self... But his main concern is that the top of knee where it is attached to thigh is starting to sink in. He thinks my quad muscle is torn. Has anybody gone through this? He also thinks that since im not in that much pain that i have nerve damage. Now i need emg & mri.... I think i dont feel pain cuz i was used to pain i had before tkr. Pain now is nothing compared to pain i was in.While looking up quad muscle tear on internet was not much help due to the fact it is uncommon for a quad tear on tkr.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Could be that your muscle is not fully redeveloped, have you done exclusive exercises on your quads? If you can't do them yourself there is a machine that can test your muscle, it may save you invasive surgery.  Go swimming, kick, no sideways movements, use the water as resistance, use a bike set on a higher resistance (maybe # 4 or 5) and for longer periods of time. If you feel an ache in that area, then the muscle is working.  Don't give up and don't give in.  You can't really tear your quads, but they can be rather childish and throw a strop because of all the pushing and pulling that has gone on.  It will take longer than the bone to heal
  • Posted

I had trouble gaining control of lifting my leg in the first few weeks because my quad muscle just wasnt working! I worked really hard on physios advice doing static quad exercises! Its where u tense and pulse ur muscles you can see them actually moving in and out. Try practicing how to do it on good leg! My physio told me to do 30/40 tenses every hour or so whilst sitting! If your not sure what i mean please ask your physio i would hate for you to do anything wrongly! Im no expert but from my experience they are helping me massively! Im 9 wks today and i stil do them to strengthen! Good luck!
    • Posted

Thanks debbie. When i was in therapy i was doing squats n bike n walking treadmill backwards. I too fig that it was just quad muscle weakness. I still try to keep up wit exercise but now its way to hard. Gives out when i go to bend sown into squat. I still do leg lifts but leg just wants to tremor as it goes up. I dont want surgery again. Feel like i just got part of my life back. Because of work field im in, i just recently was able to go back to work. Been gone almost a year. Hopeing not to have to start over again.
    • Posted

Oh dear heather i feel for you my love. Its blomin hard isnt it! I cannot believe how this has taken over me! I had an awful day tues had a total meltdown when my hubby walked through the door! (Last thing he needed after a day at work!) But iv been great weds and today! Its hard! Keep your chin up and dont do to much but take as much advice from dr surgeon and physio! I dont know what to suggest but im always hear to listen at the end of this forum moan away! X
    • Posted

Try doing exercises in a swimming pool, if you dont have one nearby, soak in a hot bath a while, relax and then do exercises before you get out
  • Posted

Speaking of "hard bumps on new knees", I have a lot of those and the physical therapist said they are 'bone spurs'.  I find that difficult believe since I assumed I would not have anymore knots/bumps/lumps sticking out to be knocked up against. Yes, I have one on the top of my knee, but it is not sinking in (Total TKR Mar2014).  There are several others on the inside of that same knee.  I have been completely through PT and dismissed by MD and PT. But I got very poor care under MD/OD with no questions answered.  Want to know if 'bone spurs are a common 'thing' during these surgeries....  P.S.: I fell 6 times at home while under care of  PT--apparently no one knows why.rolleyes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.