Almost 13 months post op for A&P repairs.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all,

Almost 13 months post op and doing great.

Been on holiday from work for 2 weeks and away for a week so was well rested and feeling great.

Back at work and started feeling ill within an hour; shivering/light headed and starting to cough. Had hoped I had managed to miss that nasty chest infection that's going around. Kids at school all got it, they are referring to it as the hundred day cough.

Anyway GP gave our Rachel an antibiotic which also covered her for whooping cough, just in case and she recovered within a week and a half. Hubby had it too but antibiotic didn't work.

I've had it now for 16 days and been on antibiotic since Friday. Pelvic floor feels like I've just given birth and all sore and bruised; bug I'm pretty sure it's holding up ( no bulgy swelling, although may feel a bit sagging ). Bouts of coughing are so awful and very difficult to pull the pelvic floor up in time and almost impossible to maintain it while coughing.

Had whooping cough when I was young and breastfeeding fed all my babies so didn't get any of them immunised. One of my older girls had whooping cough when in primary school. Anyway not sure if Rachel had it, doc said only way to be sure is a blood test.

Lots of my customers had same cough and couldn't get rid of it so shouldn't be surprised that it finally got me.

Still got a tickle at top of lungs/ back of throat but not as bad and my hot flushes are returning with a vengeance so think I'm getting back to normal and on the mend.

Lifted one of my grandsons at weekend without thinking, as soon as I done it, thought 'shouldn't have done this' , however didn't have any immediate pain or discomfort , lower abdominal muscles a bit sore later in evening but no saggy swelling. Grandson is about 2 and a half years old, not too heavy but I couldn't take that weight last year so very surprised.

So just wanted to say very happy that my repairs are still strong and holding up this time; oh and problems I had over last few months with scar tissue appears to be settling down. Just have to watch what I'm doing and continue to be aware of my limitation and be very careful not to rush about over doing things and always be aware of weight bearing issues.

Hope everyone who has had their surgery is recovering well and those of you waiting for surgery do get it soon.

Take care, it's a long road but if your careful you will get their in the end.

Phyl x💖

3 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Oh Phyl - poor you. I know exactly what you mean with the 100 day cough! Its ravaged our office and just keeps coming around! 

Protect your pelvic floor as much as you can!

Keep up with your pelvic floor exercises - best wishes to you always!

S

• Posted

Lovely to hear you had a lovely holiday, sorry to hear about your cough, I had that in February I did end up on antibiotics though as it went on my chest, I'm still suffering unfortunately, still waiting for proctogram which is June after a mix up finally got an appointment ,but having problems emptying my bladder now, but until I have my proctogram the Dr said I just have to make sure I keep my bowels moving.I jokingly said I should be sorted by 2020 I'm actually beginning to believe that lol , Hope you feel better soon take care xx,

• Posted

Thanks Melons,

Sorry to hear still having bladder problem and awaiting proctogram. Its awful when things move so slowly. Hopefully once your appointment by it should speed things up.

I thought my posterior was going with all the coughing as I wasn't emptying at back end properly, was back forward all day only passing small amounts due to down pressure and was a little on the soft side so was dashing to toilet when coughing; but thank goodness no permanent damage as it seems to have sorted itself now and back to good empty every morning.

I think the coughing weakens the pelvic floor muscles and not as supportive as could barely do the exercises for about a week when cough was at its worst. Anyway almost back to normal or as normal as things are going to be.

Maybe your bladder a little weakened with coughing and mat still improve given time.

Take care,

Phyl x

• Posted

Thanks, the Dr thinks the bowels are resting on the bladder causing it to spasm, well worth investing in a cough medicine, I had covonia which I found good, I will keep you informed xx
    • Posted

Been drink honey/lemon drinks, gargling with TCP, tried hot water vapour with towel overhead, halls menthol, and currently air waves gum.

Did take beachems plus tablets while at work which does help dry it up for a while but when at home wanted it to break up and go away so hoping antibiotic doing its job.

It's awful when something not right in the pelvic floor especially as it effects all the nearby organs and makes life so difficult to cope with ( as if we women dont have enough to cope with already).

Hope they sort it all soon for you.

Phyl x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.