Almost 4 months later... and it's starting to hurt yet again

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello.. I had a thr Dec 28th... I have been able to cook... bake.. and walk a bit but i do suffer. I wonder at times if it's because of weakness caused from suffering so long before hand but this past week or so I really hurt... up into my side.. my groin area and have sharp pains that shoot from my side right down to my knee. I can't lay on it anymore and it's driving me nuts. I don't see the surgeon until may 23rd. I also have a throbbing pain in my lower belly... wondering what I should do... also wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar. I haven't listed everything I'm experiencing but these are the main things

Thank you and hope your all having a good day/healing well

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

I think you need to go and see your Dr ASAP, it sounds a peculiar combination of symptoms. If nothing else seeing a medic will stop any worry. 👣

• Posted

Dear Lisa

I agree with you that the OP needs to get this looked into ASAP.

Hip replacement surgery is not entered into lightly but I think it is a big mistake to delay surgery once one knows that the hip is 'shot' and I feel sure that delaying surgery is likely to impact on the speed and success of replacement surgery.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

I had one done already... I'm waiting to have the 2nd one done. I did call the surgeon and have an appointment with him on Friday to make sure the one I had done is alright because the pain I'm experiencing isn't pleasant.

• Posted

I agree. That is an odd series of symptoms, but you shouldn't be getting worse at this stage. See the doctor.

• Posted

Hi starr, 

I am so sorry to hear this - 

I know we all get tired of reading  this but it is normal --- 4 months is not so long in recovery from this major surgery .. you might be overdoing it a bit and your body lets you know that ... 

In one of your previous posts, you mentioned that your other hip will be needing THR surgery as well ... 

I was told my other hip needed surgery when I went for 6 weeks follow up appointment from 1st THR ... It was very challenging, Starr - here you have a new hip and your body is healing - your other hip however is not able to support you yet so you might put too much weight on new hip ... at least that was what they told me, because I too was in so much pain - 

Pain in the lower belly sounds serious though --- Remember that your pelvis also is affected by this surgery ...

come back any time and keep us posted, okay 

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Thanks I will definately keep you posted.. I called the surgeon and he is seeing me on Friday. And yes the other has to get done which makes things very challenging especially since I'm 35 and have an 8 year old son. The pain has been in my lower belly and low back.. same spot on either side which is just above the groin. It's driving me insane. I was doing so well.

• Posted

That is great that you can see your surgeon coming Friday ... 

I am not sure whatelse to tell you --- Maybe put some heat on the sore spots and then some gentle stretches ... and take some pain medication .

take it easy

angel blessings

renee

• Posted

Starr,I'm only 1 week out (today) so I cannot comment on your discomfort. but I think you should see your doc earlier than May. After such a surgery, why should you be in pain like that? Good luck and let us know!!

• Posted

Did you have physical therapy after your surgery?  Did you have an anterior approach?  LOL.....Sorry for all the questions, but it's the best way for me to get a handle on the situation.  I think with all the pain after 4 months, I might call to see if you can get in to see the Doc earlier than the end of May.

• Posted

I've had physio quite a bit and am still in it actually. I go to the hospital for it and also have my previous therapist text me quite frequently to check in on me. I had a posterior approach.. things were going so very well. And I am praying this is going to be just me being worried and it being muscular but it doesn't feel so.

• Posted

Hi Starr,

It sounds as though you've suffered weakness due to ongoing issues with your hip.  These muscles will need to be strenthened up again.  How much physical therapy (physio) have you done?  Weak muscles around your core and lower abdomen, hips and thighs can lead to pain and discomfort in all of the areas you mentioned.  Having said that, I would definitely go for a check up just to rule out anything more serious in your lower belly. 

Wishing you the best, and keep us posted!

• Posted

Hi Starr

i am having problems as well at 4.5 months post op. I have followed Physio and tried to reduce activity when she said I was doing too much. The last few days I have experienced short periods of pain on the outside of my thigh when walking which are severe enough to make me stop! The leg doesn't want to weight bear at all. I am limping much more than I was at 8 weeks but at times can walk completely normally. I'm not sure if this is to be expected or if I should check it out with the surgeon. I would appreciate comments and suggestions from others. I am a slim, fit 68 year old who even Pre op was active for my age including competing at dog agility. 

• Posted

Dear Kay

I would suspect suspect muscle spasm and would use the pressure point technique to sort it out.

Cheers

Richard

• Posted

hi kaye, 

so sorry to hear this ... 

maybe make an appointment with your surgeon just to make sure that nothing serious is going on .. 

some pain and aches in and around the hip can persist for some time because bone, a living tissue, continues to re-model and adapt around the metal implants. However, the pain you describe sounds different .. 

Do you get this pain when or after you do the agility run?

let us know, okay -

maybe start your own discussion ??

• Posted

Thanks Renee

The odd thing is that this pain comes on when I stroll to the park  with the dogs, which is only a couple of hundred meters. If I walk deliberately putting my heel down first it gradually subsides and I am able to walk without pain or limping after about 1/4 mile. I had no problem 'running' at agility last evening. 

As today has progressed I have had no further pain. I feel a fraud now! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.