Almost 4 weeks feel like food getting stuck in base of tongue help please

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I am 20 years old, smoker having trouble with eating foods trying to suck it up, but it started one day when I was eating and noticed this flap of skin on the very back base of my tongue everything I eat now feels like it is getting stuck, and then I got a really bad case of globus sensation, as the days went on I stopped eating for 8 days untill I lost like 15pounds from not eating, I've been to the doctor that asked me if I was worried about throat cancer I wasn't until he said that. He referred me for a thyroid exam came back clear, I've been to the hospital 4 times and they have sent me home and referred me to a GI doc and everything cam back normal no GERD no cancerous worries, I even went to a dentist she said she saw what I was talking about and said it's from smoking and dehydration said it was an inflamed gland and prescribed me mouth wash, I used it once and my tongue went numb, so I went back to the doctor about my globus sensation and she said it was anxiety related I suffered two miscarriages after the birth of my two year old and she prescribed me adavan I haven't even put my prescription in because I'm worried thats not it, now when I go to sleep my tongue and esophagus feels like it's gone numb waking up with horrible dry mouth and throat and losing sleep can anyone give me advice, now that this has lasted so long I've forgot what it's like to have normal feeling to tongue and my esophagus, and it's causing more anxiety and depression than I've ever had I want to quit smoking but this feeling is making it so hard, my doctor won't do more tests I told her I'd take the adavan but I'm scared I'm gonna stop breathing or cause more issues than what I am having. Please any advice, any help will do. I have a son to worry about and my anxiety and depression is just getting in the way along with this stupid flap that caused all this

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I have something very similar. This March I started getting a stingy burning achey feeling at the back left of my tongue along with the feeling of something caught between my tongue and throat. I went to my GP after a month of it she he said he saw what I was talking about but thought it was an inflamed taste bud going down my tongue. It's been 2 months since then and it's still bothering me. I can feel a nodule / cyst behind my circumvallate papillae on the left side of tongue way way in the back it's the size of m and m but more oval shaped. It's very well circumscribed the skin over it is very smooth it isn't painful and I can move it back and forth like it's pendunculated. The burning seems to come from the foliate papillae around the cyst not the cyst itself. When I first wake up I can feel the cyst in my mouth but as the day goes on it starts to burn sting and ache sometimes it gets sore. Then at night it seems to settle back down then I wake up and repeat the process. I'm getting very depressed. Been to two ents and one said it looked like a papule the other said it was a taste bud. Neither addressed why it is one sided or the burning. I have a history of tobacco use and I'm worried everyday. It's something you just can't ignore.

• Posted

Hi Faith,

just so you know I have had 'Dysphagia'(trouble swallowing) for 32 years,yes since 1986.My life changed for the worst that day but I am still alive though presently on a soup,Boost and Ensure diet ,with the odd soft cookie or chocolate.

DO take the Ativan the drug your Doc ordered,it is a tranqilizer that will relax you and your symptoms quite a bit,it won't cure anything but will help you cope. I know this as I've taken a few and currently on Clonazepam(0.5 mg pill that I snap in half and chew).That has less memory impairment than Ativan, though taking Ativan for less than a year and you'll be ok. Both help you cope and ease you nerves and help you sleep well.

Also drink Gatorade G2 that is the best for dehydration and has the fewest calories.

Also try Biotene hydrating mouthwash.

I hope some of these suggestions help you?

All the Best

Batphink 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.