Almost 4 weeks out of Chairi surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I was wondering about pain on left side of head how long before it will ease up ?have a hard time sleeping because it hurts to lay down have tried a lot of different pillows this is hardest surgery I have ever had

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I had my surgery a year ago in  May 2016, I remember it being very difficult to get to sleep. I use a cooling pillow, which seems to help. I alternate between that and my heating pad that I heat up in the microwave. It does get better once they take out the staples, not so much pulling and tightness there.   You have to be patient with yourself and try to rest as much as you can. I would get more pain if I was sitting up to long. To me that was the worse part, not being able to do to much. But I had to remember that I couldn't do to much with my bad headaches either. At least there is a light at the end, I still have bad days but not nearly as many as before the surgery. I hope this is helpful

• Posted

Thanks for your response I had my staples out 7 days after surgery I also trying very hard to look ahead for better days I was so active before I started have symptoms 3 years ago and just kept going done hill so my pain at this point is normal I know everyone heals different just looking to see how others felt at this point thanks again
  • Posted

I am sorry you are having a tough time but I agree it is the hardest survey every. I had surgery in November last year and at 4 weeks I was still in so much pain. It does ease! Be patient your brain has been through so much try soft pillows and don't lay flat. For the first couple of months I used a v pillow it helped a lot. I remember being surrounded by pillows. It is worth taking yo your gp look at different medications for pain and sleep. I took a cocktail of drugs it was the only way to get through. I found heat helped too but some people find ice helps try both see if one or the other easesyour pain. I know exactly what your going through. Be strong and here ifvyou have any questions

• Posted

I will call for more meds sent home with Norco that's been gone just taking Motrin I appreciate you responding I am surprised still this sore was checking to see if that was the normal I use both ice and heat ice has been best for me thanks again

• Posted

Hi Diana,

It take times to heal, do not forget they cut a part of your skull (C1) think about it, even if you break your toe or joint - it will take at least 8 weeks to heal..so this is quite massive surgery what you hd..take it easy..do not rush even when you feel better. My NS told me, the reason as to why some patients ended up being bad again beecause they went bak to work or done a daily routine when they feel a bit better (mostly women)..he advice me that the first 3 molnths its crucial for looking after the wound..then the shock of the nerve working properly some time can get patient to feel headache as well, it taking me 2.5 months to feel human again..I had my surgery over 13 months ago..I still feel (now and then) a bit tingling in the neck..sometimes got headache..but I am drug free, you will have your life back, IF YOU LISTEN to the advice given by your Health Care Professionals, my NS told me to take it easy at least 14 -18 months...so..just make sure enough sleep, listen to your body, keep moving (gently) yoga or streching is good for your muscles and nerves..just keep going.you will be fine..!!

• Posted

Thank for what you have experienced I hope I feel better then in 2.5 months I scheduled to go back to work before then. I have been told no stretching right now walking was there recommendation so I do has helped with my strength And my husband says same as you I am just a little impatient not on purpose just use to go go I am learning to slow down not much choice have MRI coming up in a couple weeks to see how I am healing thanks again
    • Posted

Ohhh dar..Diana..you do not want to go back to work that soon..believe Mr Flint is (I THINK) the best NS in Chiari..he advised me not to go back to work for awhile..when I went back for 6 months post surgery, he even suggested for me not to drive..I can't do any exercises that need..jumping about ... even though I have my life back..I know my self..if I carry something heavey..the next day my back will be bad..he told me that at least 2 years..I should be taking it easy...

• Posted

I am going to listen to my ns as far as

Going back to work I will listen to my

Body also I was going by what they told me before my surgery My post op apptionment is August 23 my surgery was July 10 MRI is August 18 to check healing I was under impression that was normal heal time

• Posted

This is v interesting advice as I try to understand what the recuperation looks like.

I have been signed off by the NS for 6 weeks, with an assessment before returning to work.

Active person who road bikes a lot, plays cricket & and spends a lot of time outside with my dog in winter, I find it hard to contemplate being sedentary for so long.

• Posted

I also was very active he had said the fact that I was so active and strong that I was a good candidate for the surgery I am 53 and glad I did not wait very tough surgery I am looking forward to going back to things I love to do because of the headaches and loss of energy and pain in my legs I had really slowed down over the past 3 years good luck to you
    • Posted

That is good, every one is different, obviously you have to listen to what your health car professional said, but read in every website, I think the patient is good, the amount of patients who ar still suffering after once, twice or even 7th surgery....does it said something...yes, listen to your body..you are inc harge on your own health...GOOD LUCK
    • Posted

Hi Stable,Squash,

I understand wher re you coming from, I used to play tennis,in gym twice a week. travelled so much with my work..fllying..and there you go..after surgery..I was suffred for 2 months, but after that I am OK..however..I don't think I can take the role like I used to be. So good luck to you..just remember though...chiari condition is different with diabetes or cardio vasucular disease or asthma, the more they move and exeecises the better they are, our condition is technical issue not a disease

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.