Almost 4 weeks since tkr and still very swollen and very warm knee

Posted , 7 users are following.

whilst I had my initial tkr nearly 4 weeks ago, after 9 days the exercising made my knee bleed so badly I was rushed in and the clots were washed out and I had drains in for 5 days.  

Just had had staples removed yesterday and consultant was happy with movement, but due to thin blood for heart problems doesn’t want me to work too hard at Physio in case of internal bleeding. 

My knee definitely feels warmer than the normal one but I guess that due to the swelling. Any one else noticed this

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Simon I am a little over three weeks out. I don’t have bleeding but definitely swelling and redness.  My knee is always warm but I assume because it’s healing. Sorry you ended up in the hospital again. My PT was concerned of the redness and swelling in case of infection  but I don’t have any drainage so I am hoping it’s not that. I see him on Monday and will see what he says. Meanwhile icing and pain meds and sleeping 
  • Posted

Due to inflammation I was told there will be heat around your scar. Apparently it does go mine does a little after 10 weeks but it was worse than this so it does improve. Chin up
  • Posted

Not trying to imply what you did was wrong but!! gung ho or not you can only push but so hard before your knee lets you know you did way too much. Case in point look what happened. A knee replacement takes time to heal as in months or in some cases a couple of years. I am not one to talk about how long its taken for me since I have had ongoing problems and scheduled for my 6th one June 18th. I can tell you based on my experience at 4 weeks its still very early and yes you need to do the exercises but when it starts to ache back off. If you overdo it you will know it swelling warm to the touch lots of pain ( really lots of pain ). If you get in that situation you need to stop you should use ice regularly and elevate. The ice will help with pain and with swelling the elevation is also good for swelling. There is not set time for what to expect when if you find one good luck but as a general rule after 3 months you will start to feel better after the 4-6 month time frame you will finally start seeing the light at the end of this tunnel by a year you will start feeling normal or close to it. I hope this makes some sense and I hope you continue to make progress and I know for a fact it takes time and pain stinks.

Good Luck

• Posted

You will feel the heat for a long time. That's just inflammation from the surgery damage. I Lways refer to the surgery as cutting off your leg and reattaching. Nerves, muscle, bone etc. You can do all this drilling, chisling, sewing, bleeding without some serious disruption to the system. Common sense and steady work are the key to rehab. The old adage of this is a marathon not a sprint is very accurate. Onecif the side effects of tkr is learning patience. I've had 11 surgeries and 5 complete rehab. I've gone from hard charging to nearly complacent. I was 65 when I started and now im 81. Hang in there and take your time.

• Posted

Simon, I am now 19 weeks post op from a TKR and I still have swelling and my knee is much warmer than my "good" knee.  We all heal differently but my surgeon told me that he expects swelling and warmth until at least a year.  

• Posted

I am at 4 weeks and my knee still very swollen and sometimes almost hot. But I remember this from the other one two years ago and it took a long time for the heat to go, probably months. The other knee at two years looks and feels "normal". Hard to believe after 4 weeks that this one ever will but it is a slow process. I seem to remember feeling real general progress though at 8 weeks onwards.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.