Almost 5 weeks post op

Posted , 5 users are following.

It will be 5 weeks on Wednesday January 10th since my bunion surgery on my right foot and I’m experiencing a lot of pain from swelling when up doing things. Doctor said full weight with boot at 4 week appointment.  Walking on it hurts and really inflames it.  I only walk on it occasionally, don’t leave home without my crutches.  Still have knee wheelie too.   I went and bought new sneakers today because he said at the 6 week appointment that the boot is coming off.  I’ll be lucky if my foot fits into the sneaker as it is really fat(swollen). I bought size 13 wide.  Wore 12 regular width prior to surgery.   The thought of going into regular shoe is freightening.   I guess I  have one more week to heal.  I’m elavating and icing. I’m functioning about 40% overall when it comes to my old daily routine.  I had midfoot fusion , one plate and 7 screws.   Any similar experiences?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had my left foot done last October, ended up having second surgery because some how I injured the surgical area even though I was non weight bearing. I ended up in casts through December and got cast off right before Christmas. Was given surgical shoe but they wanted me to wear regular shoes and start walking.. talk about a struggle. Shoes were out of the question..used crutches and wore slippers. Finally bought a shoe I. Men’s 2 sizes bigger and wider. Could wear it for short periods of time. Walking has been a struggle as I caught arthritis in my knee in the non surgical leg. Was on crutches for about 3 months as a result. Am now able to wear sneakers only and the have to be extra wide. Walking is much better now I have to work on distances. It’s been a long process. Still have to do other foot but am goi g to wait a while.
    • Posted

Wow.  You are tough.   My left foot is in need of same procedure and I am not going to get it done.   Hurts too bad.  Tonight is 33rd night of sleeping on my back with foot elevated.  Pulsing shockwaves of sharp electric pain, big toe still numb on outside.   Hang in there.   Hoping and praying for good results for everyone who’s had this done!
  • Posted

Goodness........ 5 weeks and you're already doing alot considering what you've had

done.

I had revised surgery in May 2016 after my bunion op was botched back in 2014..

My first surgeon only shaved the bunions causing them to return...He also said recovery

would be 6 weeks, then go back to normal evefyday life.. Things never felt right after.

In May 2016 I had to have revised surgery on my right foot which included big toe fusion, with a plate and 5 screws and my 2nd/3rd toes being pinned.

Second surgeon couldn't believe the first had said 6 weeks recovery would see me right.

I was still in my surgical shoe at 13 weeks post second op as this was the only footwear I

felt comfy wearing.

He also said it can take up to a year to fully recover.....and he was right as it was around 10 months when things started to feel really good again. Not that I was in pain, just felt odd walking.

I'm awaiting revised surgery on my left foot and know recovery will be a long haul.

• Posted

Yes, I think I’m doing a lot too but am following doctor’s orders.  Before the surgery they told me no weight bearing until 6 weeks.  At 2 week appointment removed stitches and splint thing and put me in a boot.  At 3 week appointment doctor said start putting weight on heel.  At 4 weeks he said full weight with boot and told me to bring my other shoe at 6 week appointment!   So what happened to no weight bearing til week 6?    Makes me wonder.   Your experience sounds terrible.   This has been a hard thing to deal with as you know.   
    • Posted

It is a long road to recovery, but listening to the second surgeon's

advise has made things easier just knowing that at 6 weeks I still had to take things easy.

Like you I had stitches removed at 2 weeks, at 4/6 weeks checks I was told to keep weight bearing to a minimum and wear my surgical shoe when walking, which was mainly to the bathroom and back and MUST keep the foot flat when walking, so no heel to toe rolling....and to use the crutches.

I was told that it takes 6 weeks for the bones to fuse then recovery time starts.

So glad that I listened to his advice and didn't rush or expect things to be perfect quickly.

My foot would still swell for a few months after and my leg would go a mottled purple colour if I stood too long. I also still used 1 crutch at 10/12 weeks when I was out and about, took the full pressure off of my foot.

• Posted

Had a lapidus akin procedure Aug 25 2017. 30 days non weight bearing and then 2 more weeks in my walking boot. Surgery was literally pain free. Two things were a challenge for me: being brave enough to walk on that foot again and getting a shoe on. My foot was swollen for a long time- literally until around the 4 month mark. I got a pair of Keen shoes which were a God send to me- supportive yet comfortable. Slip on shoes/boots of any kind were not even an option until about 4 1/2 months. 

I actually opted to do some PT to help my tendons, ligaments and muscles in my foot and leg start working again- it helped immensely!! All I can say is be patient, don’t push it and be kind to your foot- rushing it does no good- I did and got tendinitis in the bottom of my foot which is why I opted for the PT. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.