Almost 6 months post op THR

Posted , 9 users are following.

Its almost six months since my left THR. Although I had a few niggles to begin with, I thought I was doing really well. At six weeks I was riding my bicycle and walking without crutches or sticks. Then about three weeks ago I realized I was having to lift my operated leg in and out of the car, and the bed. Even getting dressed and undressed was becoming very painful. I decided perhaps I should start re-doing the exercises we do after the op, so I layed on the bed and discovered I couldn't even lift my operated leg up....it's as though it's paralyzed! The pain is excruciating, if I trip or try to sit up in bed the pain shoots down my thigh and groin area. I immediately went to the doctor who referred me to my consultant. On examination and an X-ray the consultant is confident my hip replacement has healed well and it's more likely to be a trapped nerve in my spinal chord.  I even suggested could it be 'Illiopsoas Impingement', (I'm sure people like me must be their worse nightmare, diagnosing ourselves)! Well he poo-pooed that suggestion and has arranged a MRI scan, which is next Monday. In the meantime I'm still unable to lift my leg and I'm in a lot of pain when walking. The cycling has had to stop too!  

Has anyone else had this problem or is the trapped nerve....if it is a trapped nerve, just a coincidence?

any feedback would be appreciated, thanks. 

Linda

5 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I've now had six sessions with a Physiotherapist over a period of six weeks and I can't say there is any improvement. In fact I seem to be worse!  Today I saw my consultant who did the hip op. The results of my MRI scan didn't show a trapped nerve but did show signs of wear and tear at the base of the spine which has damaged the nerves, which explains the excruciating pain I'm now experiencing. The hip op and the bad knee and longer leg has most probably aggravated the damaged nerve because of the way I'm walking. The consultant is recommending a pain clinic.....probably a cortisone injection?😳  He has said Physiotherapy will not help but to continue doing the excercises. The orthopedic triage guy I also saw today regarding my knee has also said physiotherapy on my knee is not going to cure it as its wear and tear and you can't repair that, all I can do is continue with the excercises to keep muscles and tendons strong and get a new knee!  So that's where I am at the moment. On the NHS waiting list for goodness knows how long. I have to say though that everyone concerned with my problems has been very supportive and helpful. The one thing I would complain about though is the fact that I've never had any follow up physiotherapy following my total hip replacement. I've had to go private for the little I've received and I'm no better off. 
    • Posted

Linda,

Are you at times pain free?

When laying on the sofa or in bed are you free of the groin pain?

See if it is a nerve I would think the pain would be more or less constant.

with Ilipsoas tendonities you only get pain when you are trying to lift the leg. Or typically once you have been sitting, when you first get up it hurts ( but it doesn't hurt after getting up from laying down).

Before I would go to a pain clinic I would go see a different orthopedic surgeon. 

• Posted

Linda they can do a small surgery to release that tendon.

Google 

surgery to release Ilipsoas tendon

honestly see a second orthopedic surgeon. It is orthopedic surgeons who treat your tendons. Why go to a pain clinic and get hooked on pain killing drugs when there is a cure? If you are going to go to a doctor anyway at least try a second opinion. Print up from the internet an article on Ilipsoas tendinitis and bring it with you. 

Best of luck to you and please keep posting, it's important for others to know your story.

• Posted

Hi Jodi....many thanks for your advise. 

When  laying or sitting I am pain free. It is as you described, when lifting the leg mostly or if I trip up, the pain is excruciating.....I've looked up 'surgery to release llipsoas tendon', sounds daunting😳

I'm skeptical about being able to consult another orthopedic surgeon when on the NHS, I've been lucky to get seen at all in this current situation! 

At the moment my knee is now causing more pain then ever before. It keeps locking too which is very painful when it happens but I'm trying not to limp.  I've put risers in my right shoes to compensate for my left leg being longer since my THR. This helps a little and puts less pressure on the knee.  I've actually got an appointment to see an orthopedic consultant on 12 November, regarding my knee....that came through very quickly!  

I'll keep you posted👍

• Posted

Hi Linda,

I'm in a similar situation to you! I'm nearly 5 months on from my thr. And I was given just 1 physio assessment. My operated leg is 2cms longer than my other leg.

About 6 weeks after my op, my stick skidded on a damp slab and I jammed my operated leg down hard to stop myself falling. A pain shot through my thigh and I couldn't put any weight on my operated leg. Two days later, I woke up and couldn't move my leg and the pain was awful. I was taken to A and E and xrayed. There were no fractures so I was kept on the observation ward for the day until the pain gradually subsided. It was put down to muscle injury.

My gp said rest, so I did for a month. I then decided to see a private physiotherapist who has given me exercises to do. I've been to see her now for 3 sessions and although she says I'm improving I don't think I am! I still have to use one crutch and still waddle like a duck if I try to walk unaided.

So at the moment I'm so tired from exercising and just want to walk again.

But at least the awful pain from my arthritic hip joint has gone. So its not all bad!!

Love, Anna x

• Posted

Hi Anna lovely to hear from you again, you are improving, you were on 2 crutches now your only on 1smile it is going to take a while longer for you but just think how you will be able to get into your lovely garden next year smile

Love Gillxxx

• Posted

Dear Anna, 

Good to see you here again.

It is like Gill said , you are improving ... maybe not the way you expected and that fall certainly didn't help , but it could have been so much worse - I know you know that redface

it is tough at times and so frustrating ..

Have you tried to be more relaxed when you walk?   I was told that technical I did perfect, however, was so concentrated on keeping my posture straight, put my feet down, heel to toe, that my overall movements were like Mrs. Frankenstein - stiff legs and waddle - 

so now I am trying to swing my hips a bit more, relax my shoulders and not holding on to my cane for dear life -  I am getting there .. it feels akward ... I am 6 weeks post-op from 2nd THR so still to need to go slowy ... other hip/leg is still dragging too - 

big hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Gill,

How are you doing?

Yes, I really am hoping I can get into the garden again. It's not be having itself without me!

I just wish I could've had all the postop aftercare that you had.

Out of the blue, an NHS physio rang me to see how I was - after all those months. Ah well, onwards and upwards!

Keep on enjoying!

Love, Anna xx

• Posted

Hi Renee,

I'm glad you've got your 2nd the over and done with. Sounds as if you're doing well.

Apparently, my abductor and gluteal muscles have been damaged and are very weak. So its just up to the exercises I'm doing to strengthen them. But my problem is, I have M.E. so its hard to do too much exercising. It's difficult finding the right balance. But I'll keep trying!

I'm still glad I had the op as that awful hip pain has gone!

Thanks for your help.

Love, Anna x

• Posted

I'm doing fine Anna, actually spent a bit of time in the garden pruning and cutting hedges was a great feeling. We've been out and a bout a bit too. I've just finished 6 weeks physio and 6 weeks hydrotherapy at the hospital. I really don't know why each Consultant is different at the same hospital. Keep smiling love there is light at the end of the tunnel. xxx
    • Posted

I too am learning the baby steps of walking. A d I love it when I hit the groove and walk properly and relaxed. It seems to take so little effort physically. But the concentration to get there!! I certainly can't walk and talk!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.