almost 6 weeks post op

Posted , 6 users are following.

On May 4th I had hysterectomy; A & P repair. So I am 5+ weeks. Yesterday I went out to lunch and then came home -felt heaviness in vaginal area. It got a bit better so I went to fetch a few groceries. Not many and not heavy ones. By last night I was desparate to lie down -with discomfort and heaviness in vagina. It is somewhat better this AM. But my questions are: I am aware of a pressure feeling vaginally; difficult to bend over alot; abdomen not painful but tight and uncomfortable at times-I am just looking for reassurance that I am still in recovery stage and that I am where I should be in terms of this. I feel I should be further along and back to normal. I cannot walk for long as I get winded and the heaviness returns...

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi. Had my surgery on May 4th too, in addition to the vaginal hysterectomy I had a sacrospinous fixation. I certainly don't feel completely comfortable yet, I'm worried the repairs haven't worked, I have looked and there is still an anterior bulge! I am also having a few small leaks, this really worries me, it was one of the reasons I eventually opted for surgery. I'm also having constant pressure in my bottom, I was advised to take Movecol for six weeks so am not constipated. My tummy also feels tight and bloated and I am getting a lot of embarrassing wind!

I am not really in any pain, more slight discomfort, but I had hoped that my bladder and bowels would have settled down by now.

When are you due to return to work, I was signed off for eight weeks?

Good luck, it is a worry though. ??

• Posted

I have to return on June 26th-actually to a brand new job. I got it over the time off. It will be full time M-F. Your symptoms are quite like mine. No real pain but the same things you are describing. Well it is good to know we are both at the same timing and stage and having these symptoms. Next Wed I go for 6 week check so will post on here after that. I am hoping this is just how it is for now. Stay well and keep healing. I do not have leakage but the same other things you describe.
    • Posted

It is reassuring to share experiences, it is a massive thing for our bodies to have been through!

Good luck with your return to work, straight into a new job and full time too, congratulations!

I don't have a follow up appointment until August 12th, so a long wait.

One question, have you still got a lot of internal stitches? I have, they're not uncomfortable but I can feel them. As for sex after six weeks, I think my husband would be ripped apart and the thought freaks me out at the moment!

• Posted

Hey there Sheila-I have stitches that will stay-he said my scarring will adhere to the thread and the stiches will remain. I never have felt them. Sure don't hope I start too. I KNOW about the 6 weeks and sex. Hubby has it marked on a calendar and I just keep saying it may not happen just cause surgeon says I am clear...

• Posted

Hi there, I had the same op as you.....your heaviness ....more especially after going out and about.....is your body telling you to rest up.      I had the same a few weeks after my op.   The car jumping about on the road for one and sitting in a restaurant on a hard seat for another.   I was very heavy and it was achey.     After a couple of days rest I was fine.    You went out shopping after feeling the heaviness which just make it worse.       All will be well but you MUST take notice of your body.  The first sign of heaviness after doing a lot of work or going out etc etc means you need to lie down and take it easy.....you have a way to go yet but time will fly past believe me!    I am now 9 months and if I overdo things or lift something just a little bit on the heavy side, my underneath feels heavy and aches......ops! though not for long.       Apparently full internal healing takes one year. You are only 5 and half weeks.....it's very early days yet and yes we do tend to think we should be totally okay by now but on average it seems to be around the 3 to 4 month mark.    🙂    

• Posted

Thank you so much. Your reply has made my mind ease up a bit.
    • Posted

Pleased to hear this.    I do remember being impatient ..... taking 10 paces forward then 20 back at times but it's worth the resting up for this short period of time.      🤗🤗

• Posted

Hi Mar. I've just had a sacrospinous fixation and posterior repair, (vag hysterectomy 34 years ago.) I was told 3-4 months recovery period and do nothing for 2/3 weeks but rest, feet up as much as poss, drink fluids and eat! After 4 weeks try doing a little more each day and build up gradually and hopefully back to normal 6-12 weeks. I'm now 4 1/2 weeks post op and am doing a little more but still get very tired and achy in pelvic/ lower back region. I also have buttock pain at times from the SSF, this will go on for some time until the healing is complete but we can never go back to how we were previously as our pelvic floor muscles and ligaments are weakened. It's advised for some of us to see a gynaecological physio and do the exercises they show us how to do properly. You should ask at your next appointment if this is available where you live. Take things easy now and your repairs should last longer. Best wishes, xsmile

• Posted

Where are you Pollyanna, I like the sound of a gynaecogical physiotherapist? I had my vaginal hysterectomy, sacrospinous fixation, anterior and posterior repair on May 4th. I'm recovering really well, the buttock pain has gone, but I know I still need to rest to let my body heal. I'd be keen to know what I can and can't do, I'm 58 but was pretty fit before the surgery.

• Posted

I'm in Derbyshire, East Midlands. They do this at quite a lot of the larger hospitals now as it seems to help most people I believe. My op was May 8th so not far behind you. I won't be having a post op check until about August as I don't think they can tell if it's successful until then. I'm 74 so it's a bit uncertain I guess. My muscles are truly kn******* now! lol rolleyes PS, ask at your post op appointment.

• Posted

My post op isn't until August 12th, so a long wait. From what I've learned the physiological healing should take about six weeks, but the repair work more like twelve. So there's no point seeing the surgeon until then.

I'm on Northampton so I will ask at the General Hospital. 😃

• Posted

I had my surgery May 8th and I'm feeling much the same. I start the day feeling great and although I'm really taking it easy by 8 at night I'm ready for bed. I feel like I should be able to do more. It's hard for my husband to understand because it's all on the inside, at least a broken arm has a cast. He's very supportive but I think he's getting tired of doing it all and I hate to bug. Lol

I'm so grateful for this web site. So much information and support! 

Try to rest and take it easy for a great recovery!

Pam

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.