Almost 7 months and mono symptoms still linger

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello everyone,

So it's been 7 months since I was diagnosed with mono in March this year. Sadly, it might take a lot of time for me to fully recover, apparently. July and August have been far worse than expected. My lymph nodes on my neck and armpit hurt for a few seconds, they're a bit swollen especially the left side and tender to touch. I've been having nausea and chest tightness, also new symptoms now in August: a burning sensation on my hands and feet and also sneezing a lot like allergy or something. The general malaise and fatigue are still there, not letting me eat what I want, and I've lost weight too. It's just like flu, but much worse. All I have to do, is just sit and watch how things will turn out for me. So far, not liking my mono symptoms. I thought after 6 months, I'd get better gradually, but no. The virus persists to cause me symptoms. It's an awful desperate feeling of wanting to get better. Don't think crying and worrying about my health has helped though. I'm trying my best to stay calm, rest and be patient.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tea,

really empathizing with you right now because May June and July were very difficult for me and even up until mid this month I was struggling. I also started feeling very weird around March but continued with daily acitivites like school because I wasn’t quite sure what was wrong with me, if anything at all. This virus can be so stressful and difficult and brings out anxiety and worry even in those of us who usually do not struggle with these types of emotions. This is completely normal and although it doesn’t feel so nice, know that you are not alone. 

Unfortunately this virus hits some of us harder than others and likes to linger for quite a while, but I do believe you will get better, even if it takes time. I myself am only beginning to feel better but I still get tired easily and have to watch myself so I don’t relapse! It’s very up and down, but I reassure you there will be a time where you feel your energy will be more consistent and a turning point WILL come for you! 

• Posted

Hi Tea,

I can truly commiserate with you, your EBV timeline and your crappy symptoms - I got hit with EBV, CMV, Dengue Fever and toxic mold poisoning from Jan of this year to March and now am still suffering with many symptoms. I don't know what my body has reacted to - likely a combination of the whole mess. On the positive side for me, I have been tested up the wazoo and everything is more or less within the normal range, which gives me reassurance that there is nothing insidious going on and that it will just take time. I  am on a detox protocol for the toxic mold and eating a super clean diet. I am trying to look at this experience as one of learning about my body and treating it even better than I did before. Don't get me wrong there are days when I just burst into tears and wonder if I will ever get my life back.....but you are right, focusing and worrying about the state of affairs does not help matters. Take it day by day and try your best to take very good care of yourself. Sending you healing vibes.

Kiki x

• Posted

Hi Tea. Much like yourself and domi, my mono symptoms have been severe and very scary as well. Ive been healing since falling ill 11 months ago. For me the first 7-8 months were the worst, but at the 11 month mark I seem to be getting the odd feelings of normality with fatigue when I over do it. I just want to reassure you that it will get better and things will go up and down but you will get there Im sure of it. This forum is a great place to talk to people who are going through/been through the same things as you. We are all here for each other. My suggestion would be to go and see a good natrapath if you havent yet. 
  • Posted

Hi Tea,

Oh goodness it sounds like you've had such an awful 6-7 months, I really do empathise having been through a similarly tough with the virus many years ago. I just want to reassure you that things do get better with this, and that my experience was that even though it still took me time for full recovery, the first 6-7 months were by far the most intense and God willing you won't have to go through anything as awful as that again.

Recovery time for everyone seems to be different Tea, for me it took 10 months to see a real major breakthrough and turning point, after which I really started to get much better thanks to God - that doesn't mean to say it will take as long for you, but want to reassure you that it is normal still to feel so unwell with all the symptoms you describe after 7 months but then still go on to make a full recovery. I was so weary and tired and depressed after 6-7 months, wondering if things would ever change - but thanks to God they did and I truly believe they will for you too. When in the midst of it and going through it, it's so hard to see and believe that your body resilience and strength and health will return again, but it does with time Tea, it really does. Taking vitamins and herbs really helped me too, a good strong multi-vitamin per day, higher doses of Vitamin C (1000mg-3000mg per day), B complex vitamin and immune boosting herbs like siberian ginseng, echinicea and oregano.

It is totally understandable to be so worried and upset when going through this Tea - it affected me mentally and emotionally very deeply too and it took some time to get my confidence fully back again. But remember you WILL get through this Tea and things DO get better with time, take it from someone who went through the same and was in the same situation after 6-7 months. There IS hope and IS recovery from this thing - as you say just getting through each day and resting, taking a step back and asking God for help is the best thing to do right now - and I truly believe you will get over this and back to full health again. 

Thinking about you, message any time not feeling great and do keep us posted as to how things are going - there are some great people on the forum here who are great encouragers and offer excellent advice, grateful for that!

Craig

• Posted

Aw Tea, sending you hugs, what you're going through is so normal, after I've been reading the posts here since April, when I was diagnosed.

I had no idea.

People seem to be suffering quite a while, and stamina is an issue for most of us, as we want to get well and don't know when that will happen.

I'm almost five months in, and still have light symptoms.

This site is helping alot. Hang in there and keep up posted.

• Posted

Hoping this can be a good and settled weekend Malene, just a reminder again that you will get through this and get better, truly I believe that from my own experience and reading that of other people over an extended period. But I know all that doesn't help much when suffering in the present moment, so just take things slowly and rest and give yourself time and space to recover - you deserve and need that right now, and that you WILL get that breakthrough in recovery Malene - I trust God with that - hang in there and thinking of you.

Craig

• Posted

Thanks for reaching out Craig, I am having a restful weekend, and hoping for soon complete recovery. Have a good weekend yourself. 🤗

• Posted

Thanks Malene, yes weekend has been not too bad, God has been helping me and looking after me. Glad you have been able to rest this weekend, remember how important rest is and it's frustrating to have to rest so much I know, but it is the right thing to do and if you can even find things to keep your mind occupied that don't physically or mentally take a lot of out of you that can make such a difference! Even just doing something relaxing each day like a bath or listening to music or healing scriptures or reading or watching tv, or breathing exercises, or whatever you find helps!

Hoping for a good week ahead for you smile

Craig

• Posted

Hi tea , I was also diagnosed with EBV about the same time as you. All though I never had lymph node problems or a sore throat my symptoms have been , dizziness, wobbly feelings , extreme anxiety , I get very tied easy and can’t sleep , ton of stomach digestive issues and just plain feeling off. I will say I’m slowly getting better. I was a super active 46 year healthy guy before this virus wrecked my life. I do not take any prescription drugs and I eat  a paleo diet. I will say this has been the worst year of my life. My wife thinks it’s all in my head and no one could be sick this long. This forum has helped me so so much. I now understand I will get better with time. I hope you feel better soon. 

Best wishes Dave. 

• Posted

Hi Dave,

If i remember correctly you replied to one of my discussions not too long ago and you have the EXACT same symptoms as me! Show this to your wife! It’s so hard to describe that weird feeling of just something being off unless you experience it’s for yourself. I’m getting a lot better now but I can still tell I’m not 100% there because I still get a little spaced out and off feeling when I am tired. How are your symptoms now? Are they still very persistent? 

• Posted

Yes that was me and I have had the same symptoms as you. Over all I am doing way better and I strongly believe reading these posts has helped me more than I realize. Thanks you very much for asking how I’m doing. 

What blows my mind is how I can be feeling really good one minute and the next I can feel so weird. The only way I can explain it is I feel like I’m bobbing in water,  very wobbly feeling , anxious, and just don’t feel right. Just feel off. Not terrible just not good. I get dizziness if I over do it and don’t rest enough. I need about 9 to 10 hours of sleep as well. Before this horrible virus I could go on 5 to 6 hours of sleep and feel great. Crazy to say the least. 

I hope and pray you get back to 100% soon. 

Take care Dave 

• Posted

Hi David,

I too have not experienced any glands, throat problems. My problem started with severe fatigue and fever for a week. Then I suffered from de vere bloating/gas for 3 4 weeks. After the first 5 weeks I started feeling better and had a week where I felt almost normal. Then on July 1st I did a strenuous 25km Trek and from that day I have seen hell for the whole month. I also had low grade fever for 2 weeks. Finally I went to my GP in the last week of Kulu and the blood work shower recent en infection. I have been resting the whole month August and have seen lot of improved but not completely recovered. I too remember feeling better for a minute and bad the next minute during my 3rd month of infction.

My only current symptom is general weakness/ malaise that seen to come as a wave. These days I experience the malaise feeling only for a couple of hours a day mostly during mornings or early afternoon. I always feel pretty good 90% of myself from 3 or 4 pm till I go to bed.

Over all is been almost 4 months for me. I wish a complete recovery for you soon.

Thanks,

RD

• Posted

Hi Dave,

I can only imagine how very difficult it must be if your wife or people close to you struggle to grasp how badly this virus can affect you. The invisible nature of this illness, in that those affected can often look fine and be seen out and about, etc often means people think 'oh it can't be that bad then'. Believe me Dave it most definitely isn't in your head or anyone's head!! I would wish the way I felt during the virus not on my worst enemy or anyone - it is so real, intense and frightening the symptoms and severity and longevity. Yes it is very frustrating when you can feel better one day perhaps and get a bit of hope for recovery only to go back the way again - it can be very emotionally draining and wearying. 

But remember Dave things do and will get better. God willing you won't have to go through anything like this last 6 or so months again - and even if it still takes a little more time for full recovery, be assured that is normal and that you most definitely will get there. A common feature of this seems to be the virus staying 'stuck' at a certain level for a fairly length period of time (i.e. many months in my and other cases), and then all of a sudden you can take a big leap forward in only a short space of time, almost overnight. You will know when that happens Dave, it feels different from the bits and pieces of days here and there of feeling a bit better - your body starts to feel more normal and human again - just really hoping that time is coming really soon for you - hang in there for now and remember recovery is on its way!!

Take care and thinking about you,

Craig

• Posted

Oops that's me away writing my messages too fast again - when I said 'I would wish the virus on my worst enemy' of course what I meant was 'I WOULDN'T wish it on my worst enemy!!!' Silly me!

Craig

• Posted

Thank you Craig , I can’t put it into words how much this helps. Thanks a million for the time and consideration you have taken for me and many others too. I am in such a better place mentally now and I believe from the bottom of my heart that’s the biggest piece to recovery. When I finally recover I will be a better and happier person and I believe things happen for a reason. 

Thanks again and best wishes to you , 

Dave 

• Posted

Great to hear you are doing better Dave. The wobbly feelings suck and I was always afraid I was going to just faint or fall over which caused me so much anxiety, even though it seems a pretty silly thing to be afraid of. I can relate to getting the dizziness again if I am tired, but luckily for both of us it seems it isn’t all the time anymore, which is a big improvement. 

Take care,

Dominika 

• Posted

Definitely Dave / Dominika,

God has a reason and purpose for everything. It's hard to understand sometimes when things go on and on and it seems like God isn't there - but be assured that He is and that things will come together in His perfect timing. Really hoping and praying for breakthrough and improvement really soon, hang in there!

Thanks so much for the kind words Dave, I appreciate it and because I've not been working because of my own situation it has given me some kind of useful thing to do to come onto the forum and chat with others and hopefully let people know that there is hope and recovery from this awful virus, I know I for sure went through some real seemingly hopeless times and dark moments with it, but they don't and won't last forever and I still truly believe you and Dominika are going to get through this and make a full recovery thanks to God!

Thinking about you both and hoping for a good day and week ahead - and remember don't keep how you are feeling to yourself, talk to those you trust and care for you, it's such a hard thing to deal with let alone deal with these emotions alone.

Craig

• Posted

Hey RD,

Just want to offer some words of hope and encouragement as it sounds like you've been through such a hard hard 4 months - just want you to know that things do get better with this, and that what you're going through right now, this first 4 or 5 months, in my experience were BY FAR the worst stage, and that recovery does come, even if it takes a little time for full recovery still, hang in there because you will get better! You are doing the right thing by resting and taking a step back from strenuous activity - I know it's so hard and frustrating to do that when you're used to being active, but absolutely with time you will get back to things again, but remember it can be a gradual process so just go slow, even on days when feeling a bit better, don't overdo or push things - God heals and I believe He wants you well again and is going to pull you through this! Thinking about you!

Craig

• Posted

Hi David, sorry to hear that your recover is taking so long. 

Hearing your symptoms has helped to put my mind at ease. I have had most normal symptoms of mono but over the last week I have been having a dizzy, wobbly vertigo feeling and just a generally ill feeling and loss of appetite. It is so hard to explain, I don’t feel extremely sick, I just feel.... “blah” 

Hope you continue to recover.

• Posted

Thanks Thomas , How long have you been sick ? 

Hoping the best for you and your recovery. It’s a long and lonely road with EBV. It has taught me a valuable lesson in life , enjoy and live life to fullest when you have your health. Someone else on here said health is wealth. That’s a FACT.  We ALL can beat this horrible virus and WILL !!!! 

Wishing you the best , Dave 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.