Almost 7 months post opt and still unable to go up and down stairs without pain

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am almost 7 months now pulls up from my TKR and I was very optimistic that at six months I would be able to move up and down the stairs not totally pain-free but in a comfortable way and I find that it is still uncomfortable for me whenever the pressure goes on the knee joint it hurts going up and down walking on a flat surface I find out it is better but the doing stairs are very uncomfortable I am wondering if there is anyone else who has done this surgery and in has seven months post opt -if they are having the same experience I find out if I wear add knee band or brace it helps a bit but I don’t think I should be wearing a brace that’s the reason why I did the surgery

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I'm 9months tkr and going up stairs I'm fine and have been since around 6 months but it is only very recently that I have been able to go downstairs and have to think about it.. I think everybody is different and achieves things in they're own time.i found just doing one or two stairs normally each time I used them and then reverting back to both feet on same step and gradually do more stairs each time helped. I don't think the brace is a good idea as it won't allow the muscles to move freely.. This only my opinion though..

• Posted

I'm 10 months post op and still in a lot of pain. I have had five more xrays on my knee and waiting to see the surgeon. My new physio has given me a stick to walk with . I'm still walking up and down the stairs one at a time. I feel as though im going backwards instead of forwards. All the best to you

• Posted

Thank you- I was so happy with how fast I was recovering , dont get me wrong i am doing much better than before i did the surgery some time I do better than other times . I live and work in the city where the Subways are the main way of getting to and from work - so its a lot of stairs. So I am hoping as time goes by will get the better result. My surgeon told me He didn’t use cement in my knees as other people do so I am not sure if it takes longer to heal without the cement versus using the cement . They say the reason for that is it depends on your age and how severe is your damage.

• Posted

I'm 6 months post TLKR and I still can to stairs properly and without discomfort. . Going up is a different feeling to going down. Up, my knee feels weak and the soft tissue tender. Down, I have pulling over the knee, making the been difficult. I have 134deg flexion. So the bend is good. But it pulls terribly over the top of the knee when going down. I too have wondered if I'll ever be able to do stairs properly again. In general I still have a lot of discomfort in the knee. This is a very long frustrating process.

• Posted

Hi, I'm a year after my LTKR and 6 days after my RTKR. I have some discomfort still going downstairs most of the time and sometimes when sitting down. My surgeon and physio say it's the IT band that comes from the hip all the way down the outside if the leg to the tibia across the knee at the femoral condyle (or something like that). It's quite common after TKR as it needs to stretch to accommodate the new joint. I'm told it should ease by 18 months. There are stretches to help if you google, but it takes time because of the structure of the band, which is similar to a seat belt I'm told.

Once it was explained I felt much happier about it, because it feels just how he described it.

• Posted

I had my first TKR on my right new 12 years ago and without being aware all of a sudden i could go up and down stairs. I have had my left TKR done twice in the past year. i had many complications with my first one. i had a different surgeon for the 2nd surgery. I am almost 4 months and i can go up stairs but coming down I'm still doing one knee at a time unless i angle my body sideways and go down holding a rail and slowly. I been told that with the second TKR its a 2 year process.

When i had my first TKR the doctor said if its easier wear the knee sleeves for support.

• Posted

Hi Triphene,

I am no expert, but I wonder whether you maybe need to strengthen your muscles a bit more , if possible. I suggest this because you say it is easier with a brace, which makes me think that the brace is doing some of the work that the muscles should be doing. Are you able to get some physio advice, or if you are concerned that something is not right, do contact your GP or surgeon.

I have had two TKR two years apart, and I am finding the second recovery better than the first one, so far. I believe this is largely due to better muscles this time around, as I have been exercising ever since the first one , with the result that both legs are much stronger.

This is just my take on your description of your concerns, please get some medical advice if you continue to struggle.

It is a long journey to get fit again, but keep doing the best you can.

Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.