almost 7 weeks on 20mg, when does it get better?

Posted , 5 users are following.

So I have been on citalopram for second time now for almost 7 weeks now mainly for severe anxiety. First 4 weeks were super horrible with all the side effects and increased anxiety and depression. Then it was just very up and down. For about a week now i have been feeling like the medication is doing something I have been able to go out with my partner and by myself and started to eat more. However woke up this morning feeling very anxious and low mood again like back to square one. Is it a blip? When it will start stabilizing?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

you are stabilizing now.eecovery takes many months.best regards

• Posted

Hi, so sorry to hear. I was on citalopram for years and they were superb. I tried them again but the side effects were so bad at 5 days I came off. I am now on sertraline but have to say 11 days in I'm still having awful side effects. they say it should be 2 weeks then ok but I honestly cant go through much more of this. you have been so strong doing that much time. I'm going back to the doctors today to see if she can give me anything else while I'm getting used to these. have you been back to your doctor?

• Posted

second time round the side effects are worse unfortunately. if you stuck it out they would probably have worked again. I was bed ridden for two weeks second time round but I knew I have to wait. my anxiety is so bad I rather wait and suffer for few months than be always ill.

• Posted

Hi Lala - you are already recovering - thibk how far youve come. I saw my psych yesterday and he said i seemed a bit better so we are holding at the 20 for the noment to see what the depression does and what ny next period is like. He said he only looks for some improvement at 6 weeks. The important thing is that you have had some better times. There will be lots of blips along the way. i remember having them for months last time. i thought the awful sleep thing and breathlessness thing were going for me but they still keep coming intermittently. i had an ok day yesterday but still woke up suddenly feeling really anxious at 5am. i think it will be another couple of months before we can really say we are feeling a bit more stable.

PS He also said a lot of people with severe PMS go up to 30 for a week before their period and a couple of days into it then go back down. I said how does that work dont they get the side effects each time? And he said no theyre just fine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.