Almost 9wks post surgery

Posted , 8 users are following.

Monday will be 9wks post tkr I’m having a really bad few days leg pain and numbness on left side of scar. Doing all the right things but going through bad depression not getting dressed or going out. Pain when I wear clothes. Anyone gone through this? 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi suki.u are at the same stage as me.i am still getting pain in my knee.also the whole of my knee is very sensitive.i can't wear pyjamas at night.numbness on left side.been very tearful since I left hospital.had to get my dog put down a week later so it's been tough.

my knee bend is pretty good but painkillers don't seem to work so I've stopped them to see how well I do.just took them last night.now Xmas is over I'm going to concentrate a bit more on me.rest ,walk etc.

Still have swelling above my left knee on outside plus soreness under on right.have physio on Thursday so going to ask her again about this.

this seems to be a long slow process so chin up.take care of you.hope u feel better soon x

• Posted

Hi suki, The numbness will last a long time,the pain will ease though,the skin will be very sensitive round the knee especially the outside,I found even the lightest bed sheet kept me awake,if your not getting any sleep go and see your GP and get sleeping pills they worked wonderfully for me and got me through a difficult period of my recovery.
  • Posted

Morning, Oh,please look for the little improvements and not the whole picture yet!!  I was not ready for how long it took to get better but little by little it came.  Get some loose around the knee pants and get out of the house.  Smile at people, count your blessings (gratitude list).  We have been blessed to have had this operation we are getting better.  I am 8 months out and have issues around the patella

but my surgeon listens and I keep praying they find an answer.  It sure is better than it was last April!!  Happy New Year!! 

• Posted

Hi Suki I totally agree with Deb. The improvements do come but sometimes you only see them when you look back.

If you are depressed & not sleeping, visit your GP. Depression after TKR is quite common, don't suffer in silence, seek help.

Whatever you do just remember why you're here. Remember the pain you were in before your op, count any small blessings. Try to take joy from the smallest thing. Maybe watching the birds outside on the bird table, your family, anything that can briefly take you away from the misery you feel right now. Everything is transient, even pain & suffering, look forward to the Spring & Summer, when you will be walking with little or no pain.

We are always here, no matter what time of the day or night, use us. You can rant if you need, cry if you want it's what we are here for. Don't sit & stew.....

I wish you well.

All the best

Marilyn 

XX

• Posted

Hi Marilyn thank you so much for your kind words of help no one told me about how bad the recovery was going to be. I can walk with a stick and bend quite well it’s just sometimes I get like a shock of pain going through my knee and I start crying all over again I’m just sick of it and can’t see an end to it all. Thanks again. Happy new year to you xx
    • Posted

I totally understand Suki , I am 8 weeks post op and have all the issue you mentioned above. I found ( after 4 different sets of sheets) the one set that doenst aggregate my incision and use them with no PJ pants - they were increasing the pain. I too get very frustrated and had NO idea how long and painful and depressing this actually is, but I do agree with what everyone is saying find something that makes you smile and concentrate on that several times a day... good luck, 
  • Posted

You must force yourself to go out...maybe worth seeing GP if You feel you are sinking and cannot get through this without some help. Talking may help, and post op depression is well recognised.
  • Posted

Im at 11 weeks and still have pain. The numbness is getting better but theres still more pain than I

expected at this time. I have a difficult time going from sitting to standing. Seems I traded pain for worse pain. The depression has stopped and I'm finally sleeping again. The only thing that really bothers the Knee are jeans. But get a knee sleeve to wear over the incision.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.