Almost constant urge to go. Discomfort in rectal area. So frustrating.

Posted , 5 users are following.

After every meal I experience discomfort in my rectal area, and the urge to go. The urge to go is sometimes weak, leaving me with the feeling I need to go but can't quite yet. Other times it's strong enough that I will be able to go. When I do use the toilet my stool is broken up into many pieces leaving me with incomplete evacuation. I often have to strain towards the end of a bowel movement to try and push the last few pieces of stool out, often unsuccessfully. After I'm done having a bowel movement it's not long before the urge to go creeps back in. It's very frustrating feeling like you're done, only to feel like you need to go again shortly after. It's not just a sensation either. Sometimes I need to go several times during the day with more coming out. Sometimes a lot comes out and other times it's only the tiniest little bit. I also experience discomfort and the urge to go during exercise. I often go for walks, and about half way through the urge to go creeps in. The urge is very rarely painful, it's just annoying as hell. I can sort of feel stool sitting there, like a slight pressure. It controls my level of enjoyment in everything I do because it is so hard to ignore.

Do any of you experience this also? Have you found any medication, supplements or a diet that helps with this problem? Thanks.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Have you been diagnosed with IBS?

You could try COLPERMIN. You can buy them from the chemist and if you find they help you can get them on prescription.

If they help then you have almost definitely got IBS I think.

Fortunately we have an excellent chemist in the village here, hope you have the same and you can talk to them.

Take care and keep in  touch

Sarah

• Posted

This is very common with IBS.  I try to eat more fruit to make my stools easier to pass and this works for me. Peppermint oil is more for relief of stomach pain than helping your bowel movements and has variable results.
  • Posted

Could be you have haemmaroids? They will give you the feeling of needing to go but nothing being there.

It also sounds like you need to up your fluids and fibre to bulk out your stools more.

• Posted

It sounds like pelvic floor dysfunction. The muscles in the pelvic area have to work together to have a BM. The fact you have pain after and feel not cleaned out should be checked out as a functional problem.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.