Almost five months post TKR surgery

Posted , 12 users are following.

I had total knee replacement on July 21, 2014.  Five days in hospital.  Surgery went well.  Pain management was good, pain pills plus Ibuprofen every 6 hours.  Recuperating well until I was taken off of pain meds.  Found out they were masking an ulcer I had developed in my stomach from the Ibuprofen.  Such pain.  After three visits to ER got proper diagnosis and feeling better.  :0)  Released from physical therapy with 110 bend on operated knee and 120 on unoperated knee.   PT said that normal use would help the bend increase.  Try walking up and down stairs normally but sometimes just do not like the pain, so I walk up one step at a time.  Pain is manageable most of the time with Tylenol.  Knee very still upon sitting with it bent for any length of time.  I just ordered a peddling machine to use while I am sitting watching TV.  My surgeon said it would take up to a year for it to really be well.  Scar tissue inside causing pain when skin hits replacement inside.  This will subside he said.  

I am 67 years old and am glad I had it done.  The pain before was so bad I stopped going places.  Nothing stops me now from going shopping, food shopping etc. etc.  

After considering all that was cut in the surgery I can understand why there is pain and stiffness.  If I were younger I think it would have been easier.  I hear of people having both knees done at one time.  To me a crazy idea.  I met a lady at Cracker Barrel yesterday.  She was at lease 15 years older than me and she had two canes.  Had both knees replaced at once and is really having a hard time.  :0(  

I do not know if its my imagination or not, but it feels extremely cold inside of my knee.  Is it possible to feel cold from the replacement inside there?  Just wondering.  

Otherwise hoping this may help someone else.  

1 like, 80 replies

80 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Merrie, I had my TKR on July 21 st too! I too am glad I had it done and feel I'm turning the corner in the last few weeks - at last. I have a hiatus hernia and acid reflux so was not able to take Ibuprofen from the start. Managed with cocodamol, then Paracetemol, now not taking anything most days. I've struggled with sciatica type pain  which is getting less after doing specific exercises and physio. Although it's a lot more comfortable walking now, my leg still gets very stiff. Like you Betty, it's stiff when I get up first from sitting. Haven't experienced the cold feeling but several odd sensations now and then. Betty and I often compare notes as we're at the same stage so it would be good to keep in touch. Yes, Betty, I'm still doing the exercises twice a day though I'm concentrating on these for my hamstrings and nerve pain. They take me 40-50 minutes a day though! I'm not as good as you on the exercise bike though. I just do 5 minutes to warm up each morning.  I walk a fair bit when out shopping but don't do a regular walk each day. It'll be interesting when any of us can say we're not stiff any more and our legs feel "normal". I'm hoping we'll get there one day 😊 
    • Posted

Hi Jen,

I too have a hiatal ( spelling) hernia and acid reflux. Was also diagnosed with Barrett's  esophagus ( again not sure of spelling) I've been taking protonix for years (Pantoprazole) as prescribed by my dr and at night I take an OTC pill called Zantac 150 to help keep it at bay at night. 

I have to have an endoscopy every 3 years because the Barrett's esophagus could lead to cancer if not controlled.

I'm a mess, ha 

Hope you are still feeling like you've turned that corner smile   Yesterday was a very good day for me. I worked out in the yard and was climbing my stairs one foot at a time! I was giddy with excitement smile.  Well today it's back to the good ol' stiffness again! Oh well, par for the course, eh?

Take care my friend - is it " wine time" yet smile

Betty

• Posted

Hi Betty 

pit also says Zantac on the box of the Ranitadine so I wonder if it's the same thing 

• Posted

Oh I bet it is then. It's called Zantac here and I can buy it OTC. I've taken it for years for heartburn. I was never told it lined the stomach though to protect from too much aspirin.

I don't leave home without it! I've got several packages of it in my purse, my car and of course at home. It brings instant relief if I get heartburn, which seems to happen often after eating something that triggers it.

Huh! Well maybe that's why I fortunately have not gotten an ulcer. Maybe the Zantac had been protecting the lining of my stomach smile I still have to be careful not to take too much ibuprofen though as it triggers unpleasant stomach problems. That is when I have to lay off until the stomach settles down.

Thanks Jean!

• Posted

Hi Betty,  it's morning here so no wine yet 😊 We do have a 

to in common don't we? I had an endoscopy a few years ago and, fortunately, nothing more than the hernia and reflux was found. I just take Omeprazole daily which usually keeps it under control unless I over indulge! It's good they're keeping a check on you. 

Well done on your achievements yesterday. Yes, touch wood, this nerve pain is definitely better. It's the stiffness now and the twinges and aches! 

Sometimes now it's my back and other hip that bother me more than the knee! Not sure if that's good or bad 😊 😊 

Take care - I'll raise a glass tonight  to our continued progres 🍸🍷

Jen x

• Posted

Zantac was the name given to it by the pharmaceutical company that developed it originally, the substance name is ranatidine. Doctors in the UK are supposed to write the substance name and then when it is out of patent you get what is called a "generic" - it's the same difference as between a "Hoover" and a "vacuum cleaner"! Generics are much cheaper but the same stuff. Sometimes people don't get on as well with one or the other  - and it may be the generic is better for them than the brand name - and sometimes the brand name has a different formulation that matters. Then they must use the name.

But do be careful with using ibuprofen - one friend, told by her doctor to take it for pain , ended up in hospital after just 3 doses with a gadtric bleed. If you must use it is is a good idea to only ever take it in the middle of meal or to use ranatidine (better in the long term) or a PPI (omeprazole for example) as well to avoid stomach problems.

• Posted

Hi Eileen

i don't take the Ibuprofen now I  take co codamol. As and when needed in fact  I try not to take it 

i was given the Ranitadine because I take aspirin every day as I have angina

I've hated having to take all these painkillers after this TKR  but ...needs must.

my knee has been giving me hell all day today ...but I haven't taken any medication yet ...I've just used the ice pack.

Jean 

• Posted

It was just a warning to anyone looking in - and as you point out there are other painkillers. Some doctors just tell patients to use NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) like ibuprofen as if they have no side effects - but they do. One lady was told to take paracetamol (not an NSAID) - and got raised liver blood tests very quickly and the gP panicked!

It's the devil and the deep blue sea - but pain relief after surgery is so important. Just be careful about constipation and anything with codeine - but it is realtively easy to control if you know to watch it.

• Posted

I think the pain of the gastric ulcer was more painful than the initial surgery pain.  The meds took that pain away, so I was able to live.  Lost 18 lbs too.  Couldn't eat anything lol.  confused
  • Posted

Unfortunately being younger (I am 49) does not make it easier!

My Consultant told me that younger bodies are trying to heal quicker which in turn causes issues :-(

And often younger people are still working full time and are unable to take the proper time to recover, have young families to look after and may have parents to also care for.

All in all this operation seems to be a nightmare of some degree or other no matter what age.

Tracey 15 + 6

• Posted

I agree with you Tracey

the Op is just the same Op and has no age discrimination.

i often wonder how I'd have coped if I'd had young children and a job.

at least when you're older like me (76) you can rest when you want too

we will all recover eventually and at the pace our body's allow

( I just wish my body would hurry up) biggrin

• Posted

Part of it is that younger people have higher expectations and then are disappointed when it is harder than they expect. You can never compare yourself to someone else, we are all different.

You'd get upset if someone told your kids they weren't keeping up with the neighbours kids when you knew they were doing their best - just the same really.

• Posted

you are SO right, tracey! being younger (51) defo does not help. and having to go back to work after 3 weeks defo does not help either!
    • Posted

i total agree with that , i had my 2nd on august the 3rd ,and have been back at work for the past 7 weeks , im on my feet all day ,when i get home its all the normal things to do ,so by tea time im done in , ive found that people dont really know howbig this op is , ive had no help at work and have to do eveery thing as i did before . so at 12 weeks i was back to work and still recovering from my first that was done in feb this year ,and it sure is a nightmare , 
    • Posted

I know Debbie, I feel for you - I truly was not prepared for this long recovery time sad

And trying to get on with all that needs to be done including working - a nightmare.

One TKR is bad enough but two! Bless you.

Most of the time I feel 149 not 49!

• Posted

snap lol , just hope in the end i can get pain free altogether , working is so hard , i work in a school who feeds 1700 people every day , all within an hour and a half , it has to do me good , what do you do ? 
    • Posted

hi jean -- last week i decided that it was time to reduce my medication.  BAD decision.  3 days later i could hardly walk, ended up having to go back to bed one morningn with the full whack of the medication and wait for it to hit the system.  since then my leg and knee has been coming up with all kinds of different aches and pains, keeping me up at night.  i got myself some liotol gel (we can get it across the counter here) and have been rubbing it whenever the aches start. the newest ache? a dreadfully painful heel and my inner scar stills plagues me.  it feels like it will never end.

how are you jean?  getting ready for christmas?  will you be able to enjoy it?  with family and friends?  

• Posted

Hi Britta

i reduced my meds and just try to take them before I go to bed

i bought 2 tubes of Liotol gel from Amazon it's good stuff

i see my Surgeon on the 31st of this month and there's lots I need to ask him.

in fact there's a list as long as my arm.

i can't understand why I'm still in so much pain at night. My GP said it seems as if my Sciatic nerve has been damaged and if so I'm stuck with it

I looked for exercises online but they all entail bending the leg ...so it's a vicious circle.

The lack of sleep is making me such a miserable devil.

at least we are going to my daughters for Xmas dinner ...Yippee no cooking for me.

so as we keep saying 

Onwards and Upwards

Jean 

• Posted

It might be a wild card - but have you thought of trying Bowen therapy? Sometimes the position you end up in on the op table can upset an already delicate back due to walking strangely with a bad leg and the muscles go into spasm, pinching the sciatic nerve. If Bowen is going to help you will notice an improvement quite quickly, sometimes by the end of the first session but it does vary. If there isn't an improvement after 3 sessions a good therapist will tell you it isn't going to help. 

I think it is brilliant and would give it a try.

• Posted

Thanks Eileen

i've never heard anyone mention that here in the UK but I will look it up

and yes I do have a spinal problem  so I presume it was something during the op that trapped the nerve.

surely I shouldn't still be limping around and not sleeping at night for the pain at 15 weeks post Op 

• Posted

jean -- your gp isn't very definitive about his diagnosis, is he?  why don't you try some acupuncture, this could really help your sciatic nerve.  i absolutely HATE doctors saying "nothing can be done about it".  i have been given up by a doctor for chronic back problems but i managed to get it sorted by my kinesiologist and specific gym for the back.  just saying.  never give up, there is a solution out there.  gp's can be soooo limited in their knowledge, especially if they don't consider alternative medicine as valualbe alternatives.  personally, i am a big believer.  

enjoy christmas with your family, jean.  put the knee to rest for a couple of days.  will do you a world of good.

b.

• Posted

I will enjoy Christmas and then get myself sorted out 

I sometimes think our GPs are Ageist  they must think at a certain age we should accept things.

well the body may be old but the brain is still in full working order....lol

and I will NOT accept anything less than perfection ..  I think my Surgeon when I see him will wish he'd taken a day off sick ....lol

• Posted

Just google it - I had it first in the UK and it is easier to find than here, Some physiotherapists have taken the courses and use parts of it too. When you are having it done (if you have never had it before) you think, what's all this about, they aren't doing much to me! One friend was stuck in bed and upstairs, could only get to the loo with a zimmer frame. Someone took her to my Bowen lady and helped her across the pavement to the salon where she uses a room - friend on one side, leaning heavily on a walking stick on the other. One hour session and she walked out forgetting her stick! She had 3 sessions and it was pretty much gone and now she just has a treatment every so often "just in case". 

I've always struggled a bit about recommending it on the forums but did so on another a few months ago and just last week there was a thread with 5 or 6 people either thanking me for recommending it or saying how they have also used it.

• Posted

you just made me laugh out loud, jean! indeed ... your surgeon has something ahead of him. hopefully he doesn't sneak on here from time to time :-)

mum says that about doctor's (some, not all) being ageist. a terrible thing. when they start with her like that she gets what we call her "vic the vandal" hat on and gets all stroppy with them. then they sit up and take notice.

• Posted

Your Mum sounds like me ...a force to be reckoned with ...lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.