Almost five months post TKR surgery

Posted , 12 users are following.

I had total knee replacement on July 21, 2014.  Five days in hospital.  Surgery went well.  Pain management was good, pain pills plus Ibuprofen every 6 hours.  Recuperating well until I was taken off of pain meds.  Found out they were masking an ulcer I had developed in my stomach from the Ibuprofen.  Such pain.  After three visits to ER got proper diagnosis and feeling better.  :0)  Released from physical therapy with 110 bend on operated knee and 120 on unoperated knee.   PT said that normal use would help the bend increase.  Try walking up and down stairs normally but sometimes just do not like the pain, so I walk up one step at a time.  Pain is manageable most of the time with Tylenol.  Knee very still upon sitting with it bent for any length of time.  I just ordered a peddling machine to use while I am sitting watching TV.  My surgeon said it would take up to a year for it to really be well.  Scar tissue inside causing pain when skin hits replacement inside.  This will subside he said.  

I am 67 years old and am glad I had it done.  The pain before was so bad I stopped going places.  Nothing stops me now from going shopping, food shopping etc. etc.  

After considering all that was cut in the surgery I can understand why there is pain and stiffness.  If I were younger I think it would have been easier.  I hear of people having both knees done at one time.  To me a crazy idea.  I met a lady at Cracker Barrel yesterday.  She was at lease 15 years older than me and she had two canes.  Had both knees replaced at once and is really having a hard time.  :0(  

I do not know if its my imagination or not, but it feels extremely cold inside of my knee.  Is it possible to feel cold from the replacement inside there?  Just wondering.  

Otherwise hoping this may help someone else.  

1 like, 80 replies

80 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi I' had tkr on the 5th of November and I'm 52.

I'm experiencing a lot of swelling at the minute and think I probably overdid things before Christmas which has knocked me back a bit.

• Posted

Hi Merrie, "long time, no hear". I was flipping through a book I bought recently about TKR & rehabilitation and one of the questions asked was why their knee felt cold inside. I remember you asking that and they said for some people it feels cold the first year because the knee & surrounding tissue may be compromised due to swelling & scarring. As the knee heals & circulation returns to normal, the cold sensation should subside. So it's not your imagination.

Also were you and anyone else on here, told to take antibiotics before dental work? I was told & have already taken them when I had my teeth cleaned recently. It's to prevent infection through the blood stream.

So much to think about, huh? How are you doing? Betty

• Posted

Hi Betty, haven't heard from you for a while. I had my teeth cleaned recently but didn't ask for antibiotics. It did cross my mind but I thought it was only for fillings/extractions etc. perhaps I should have. Too late now! I'd told my dentist I'd had TKR but he didn't mention antibiotics so I thought I would have been too fussy asking for them! 

How are you getting on? I'm ok. Still persevering with hamstring exercises and stretches and still attending physio. Pain isn't so bad but my leg still gets stiff and the muscles tighten from time to time. Thought we'd both be on here celebrating at 6 months 😊😊 Hope all is well with you and Happy New Year🍸 Jen x 

• Posted

Hi Jen

good to hear from you ! I'm doing OK. I still get the awful stiffness after sitting or lying in bed, but I seem to feel better if I'm consistent about exercising ( walking or riding bike) and I know my leg is still not as straight as it could or should be. I also find myself limping if I'm tired and have been on my feet too long. Fatigue is still my enemy too! Yesterday I spent half a day putting Christmas decorations away, when suddenly I felt like I hit a wall! I literally crawled into bed and took an hour nap. This happens on a daily basis though. By late afternoon I can hardly function. I'm wondering if it's more than just still trying to heal from TKR. 

anyway, maybe it will be a full year before we can both be celebrating on here, eh?

About antibiotics and dental work - maybe American doctors are more obsessed with it. I've heard American doctors tend to prescribe medications much too freely! They want to medicate you for any ache or pain it seems 😳

Hang in there Jen and here's hoping one day soon we will both be celebrating for how WONDERFUL we feel 😁

Betty

• Posted

Hi Betty, good to hear from you. I still get a lot of similar symptoms, especially stiffness when getting up from sitting. I still get tired too though not as bad as I was. I start looking after my 11month old grandson for a day or two a week so I'm expecting to need a few early nights. Physio tells me that this nerve pain I'm getting will take time as nerves take longer than tissue to repair. Same old story eh? It is getting better gradually though. Yes, one day we might celebrate - hope so 😊 Look after yourself, Betty. Jen x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.