Almost in week 5 of fluoxetine, when will the OCD thoughts go!? Help!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Looking for something positive here! I've been taking fluoxetine 20mg for 32 days now. Previous to that I did 4 weeks on 10mg which my GP increased. I have taken a few antidepressants previously and obviously didn't work, I'm trying my best to stick with this as some parts of my depression and anxiety are better. It's the OCD thoughts which actually only started since I started on antidepressants!

I'll be do grateful if anyone can tell me something positive and help me see hope that these thoughts will subside.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I have been taking 20mg since June and around 9 weeks into first taking them was when I felt the positive effects. I can honestly say that I am more relaxed and positive in general, I still have my 'blip days' but I don't obsess about every little thing (OCD is nearly non existant) and I am more relaxed. My advice is try not to anticipate when you will feel better, look at the positives on a daily basis on how you feel. SSRI medication isn"t renowned for its fast acting abilities but give it time. Most importantly keep talking on here they are a good bunch of people who offering you support I have found it invaluable

• Posted

Thank you for the reply. It's just so scary when it occurs and I've read a few forums where people have said when it happens, don't try to block it out, just go with it and I find it difficult. At least I can feel a little reassurance knowing that the drug hasn't reached its full effects yet.

• Posted

Hi Rachel

Scary and OCD thoughts are usually a side effect of anxiety and a tired mind, and of course the meds have increased the anxiety temporarily.  I had scary thoughts naturally through the illness anyway but after years of suffering with it all I recovered on SSRI's.

They will subside and go away.  Everyone has weird thoughts from time to time, but because they're not accompanied with anxiety, they're quickly brushed aside and forgotten about.  Because you have anxiety, the thoughts will provoke a surge of anxiety making the thought seem scary.

Try and let the thought be there (difficult I know).  Relaxing towards them and the anxiety will help desensitize them, and will help while you wait for the meds to work.  Remember they're just a side effect and part of this illness.  They will go.

The meds do take a long time to work, but you're doing well.  Agree with Woo, let recovery come to you as we're all different, and you can't make it happen any quicker.  It will come though.

K x

• Posted

Thank you so much. It's so wonderful to speak to people that actually understand and I am so grateful for the help. X

• Posted

It really helps doesn't it.  When this illness first hit me back in 1979 nobody talked of depression or anxiety back then and I felt completely alone and afraid.  I even found it difficult talking to the doctors and pysch team as was sure they'd find me weird, or laugh at me, and I never told my family either as didn't want to burden them.  There was no internet either.  Only my husband (of then) knew.  I read lots of books as found knowledge helped.  I told the doctors many times there should be a group or some support for like-minded people to talk to one another.

Some books in particular helped me understand that its not the complex illness I thought I had - its simply stress that caused the low serotonin, for my nerves to become over-sensitized which caused anxiety, and then my reactions to everything then became overexaggerated.  The medication helped with the serotonin, helped to calm the body down along with relaxing techniques, all of which desensitized my nerves and are now back to normal.

Taking the mystery out of this illness was a huge help for me.

This site is good to talk.  I can't believe how many people suffer with this, when I'd thought I was the only one back then.

K x

• Posted

Hi Rachael I used to get OCD thoughts too but I found that by not fearing them so much I was able to accept them being there and eventually they fade.My Psycologistusd to say live in daylight compartments in other words live from day to day and look at the positives. You are getting better and this illness is slow to recovery rom but recover you will.
    • Posted

I hope so. It just feels like a long long battle. I'm going to try not to fear them and see if it helps. Thanks for the reply. X

• Posted

It is a long battle Rachael but keep telling yourself that these thoughts are just thoughts and they will pass.Try and distract yourself and that way the thoughts will go away.Itsthe attention you give them that .keeps them going.They are stubborn little pests and feed on attention so don't give it to them. Good luck 😄

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.