Almost two years on

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello guys, I hope everyone is dealing with this as best as they can. I caught glandular fever in June 2017, its now April 2019. The virus has left a lasting legacy on me, never in all my life have I been that ill. Now I am on levothyroxine medication as the virus made my thyroid under active. Not only that my mental health took a hit with it to. Depression and anxiety flaring up at various times. Its not all doom and gloom, I do feel a hell of a lot better but I doubt ill ever get back to myself pre glandular fever. I want to give people who are just starting out with this virus. You will recover however it takes a long time and obviously when you are suffering patience goes out the window. I try to keep myself as well as possible. I work 37 hours per week and cycle most days to work. Equating to 30 miles per week. Which at the start of the virus would seem impossible. I do have to be honest though I have no motivation for anything really. Whether its a moderate depression I am not sure but I try my best. Hopefully one day they will come up with a direct remedy to kill this virus before it causes misery to people.

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

thank you for your story

it helps me feel like someday ill have a normal life....

glad to hear youre exercising

i hit 8months a few days ago havnt worked out since i got hit.

just light yoga -

this is so scary and hard to face

and things dont seem to get better at times they feel worse

many symtptoms have come /gone but some are sitting here seem to be worse -

confusing-

my legs are jelly and weak

pain/back pain

worse when i use them?

to name a few

i feel unstable

so difficult

what were some of your symptoms?

i keep thinking this will fade but seem stuck

wishing for a cure

we should not have to go through this....

i got hit overnight

life was good

yoga etc

i am so healthy

why do we get hit so hard?

anyhow

im feeling the mental effects too

very tough to go through this....

stories and people on this forum are all i have.....

healing prayers to you and happy to hear youre working and exercising

i had to quit my job....

• Posted

thank u

good to know

glad to hear youre on your way......

im at 8months

brutal

the aches/pains/muscle issues.....

mechanical issues etc

im still limited right now

feeling stagnant really~

still dealing with this beast

im reading people start to see a shift at about month 10

fingers crossed

keep on cycling!!!!

i cannot wait to work out

chomping at the bit here

healing prayers to you

HAPPY EASTER

• Posted

Hi StarrA,

I also started feeling better at the one year mark, it takes awhile after that to really turn the corner, it will happen though.

• Posted

It's good to see a message from you Mono too - wishing you a Happy Easter, and very much hoping that things are moving forward and looking up for you and your family at the moment. Thanks as always for your continued support and encouragement of everyone on the site, I can assure anyone reading your posts that you know more than most all about the depths and despair of this dreadful virus and very much hoping that you are doing well at the moment.

Craig

• Posted

ps

how did you catch this

its confusing as some say reactivation and then you hear about kids sharing drinks and getting it?.....

• Posted

No idea, I thought it was a cold but it turned out to be glandular fever. Very odd

• Posted

yea,

i was blind sided

did yoga one night worked/normal day

woke up hit me on my way to work

like a mac truck!

been sick ever since

had no idea something like this was out there

knew of mono/ebv

but thought it was nbd

i was wrong

this also has given me anxiety/depression i guess

no throat stuff though

just a swollen painless gland on right side throat area~

?

.....-

i think we need to start thinking less about living on Mars and more about everyone suffering with this and a cure!

annoying the whole concept

these viruses have been here since turn of the century

really?

nothing!

im not impressed

i could go on

ill stop now.....

take care

all on this forum are always in my prayers.......

• Posted

Hi Starr,

I might have said this before in our messages can't remember, but wanted to share information I read once somewhere regarding the EBV virus and mono, and it helped me in terms of understanding how the virus can stay at the same tough level for such a long time and then how a big step forward can be taken in a short space of time after that.

The thing I read said that if you imagine maybe a less awful virus than mono, maybe a common cold, being the shape of a square, what happens is your body makes antibodies to block the shape of a square and has done this and within a few days / week or whatever has nullified the virus.

With EBV, the difficulty seems to be that if the virus is the shape of a square, your body goes through that process of making antibodies to fit the shape of a square, but by the time it's done that the virus has changed shape to maybe a triangle. Then the body makes the antibodies for the triangle but by the time it's done that it might have changed to another shape again, and so on. Hence why it seems so hard to get on top of this virus and why it can be so long lasting.

BUT the encouraging and good news is that somewhere down the line the virus trips itself up and changes back to a shape that is previously was, so it might after several months change back to a square again but this time your body already has the antibodies pre-ready for the square shape and can block it right away - again hence why things can change so quickly with this thing and not to be discouraged if you feel for a long period like you're not making much progress, because it can easily be the case that a big breakthrough came come all of a sudden with this thing.

I'm not totally sure if that is entirely right what I've written but I did read something along those lines many years ago, and it helped me in a strange way to understand why this virus can be so difficult to get on top of but also provided hope and knowledge that your body does get on top of it eventually and does defeat this thing!

Sorry for the long-winded explanation, just thought I would share and hoping that you are feeling settled and stable today - and remember a BIG step forward and change can happen with this thing after a long period of suffering / not much progressing - so hold onto hope and remember God is on your side with this, He is the great I Am.

Craig

• Posted

thanks Craig!

makes sense

i again thank u for all of your input

it helps so much

i feel like things come /go &

reappear

and other things are stuck

so at 8 months feeling like- is this it?

so confusing......

im not pushing myself as i want my body to have every fighting chance to abolish this virus!

it feels like its taking so long and im ready to live again.....ughhhh

i hope you had a settled blessed Easter wknd!

and have a great wk ahead!

-:-)

• Posted

Thanks Starr,

Just wondering how you are feeling today, hoping today can be a peaceful and settled one. I think you're being wise and sensible by not pushing yourself too hard, you just need to listen to your body day to day with this thing, some days you may feel able to do more than others - if you can keep doing small things like a short walk on days you feel able to, the fresh air can really help, or seeing friends / doing something you enjoy can boost your spirit and morale, these things are important during recovery too, but I know it's all dependent upon how you're feeling each day. This thing is not gonna win the day Starr, you are going to get back to a normal and healthy lifestyle again, I still truly believe that because God is the great healer - all things are possible to those who believe.

I know it's not easy though to keep holding on, God understands that too so don't beat yourself up if there are days finding it hard to hold on. God understands and He never leaves you. Going through this virus can feel like going through a very dark and depressing tunnel, but believe me Starr even though you might not be able to see it now there is light at the end of that tunnel, you will get through and it and are getting through it, and you WILL get the victory thanks to God.

Thinking about you still and praying today will be one where the Holy Spirit falls afresh on you to give you new strength, belief, hope and energy. God's hand is moving in your situation Starr - I believe that. I'm still praying for you be assured.

Craig

• Posted

Hello Jelley,

It sounds like you have done amazingly well to get back to a full and active lifestyle again after this dreadful virus. I really want to reassure and encourage you that your body will continue to get stronger and stronger - for example even though I was doing much better after 2 years, I still felt fragile in some areas and I seen that I had taken even more steps forward after 3 years than I had after 2 - so keep remembering that Jelley your body rebuilds over a gradual period and eventually you get to the point where you just feel like your body is able to cope and live a normal life again. There will still be more progress and improvements to come, even after 21 months, so hang in there - I actually had a bit of a relapse at 21 months I remember and it frightened me but thankfully it settled down quickly, so these kind of things still can happen at this stage and you will grow stronger again!

Thinking of you Jelley and totally agreeing hoping they can find a direct remedy to kill this virus in the future, it causes so much pain and suffering for people and wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Craig

• Posted

Thanks a lot Craig your support has been brilliant. During those dark days when I didn't know if I would get better. You kept reassuring me and I thank you for that

• Posted

Thanks for your kind words Jelley, I really do appreciate them and hope and pray you can continue to see breakthrough and improvement. I know how much I need reassurance and encouragement too, especially when I fall like I do so often, just grateful to God for His mercy and help for me even in my foolishness. Praise God.

Happy Easter to you and your loved ones Jelley, very much wishing it can be one of hope and happiness for you - keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.