alopecia

Posted , 7 users are following.

hello every one ive had alopeica snce i was 26  am now 50 i got alopeica after catching chicken pox of my son who was then 5 he is now 30 so it was a long time ago i had 3 bald patchs on my scalp every distressing at the time it was all due to stress i was very runned down due to a bad relationship did,nt eat properly lost weight there is no cure for alpecia as there is 3 types patchs thinning and baldness i had patches it grew back but it took a few years my hair has never been the same my hair is very fine but you do get use to it and get use to living with it i was very depressed at the time but as the years go on you don,t forget but i got used to living with it i am hear f any needs to talk about it as it do  help to talk you are not alone thousands have it contact me any time im always willing to help just remember it will get better in time 

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I have Alopecia Areata .Spent along time researching and trying to find a cure.It first came on 3 years ago at the age of 60.Stress was the trigger I think?At the time was still teaching,then my mother aged 90 fell and broke her right arm and my husband had cancer diagnosis.

I have 2 patches at the back of my head .Fortunately my other hair covers it just about.as I also have fine hair.One patch is large but has some hair growing back and the other is smaller but hardly any hair.

I went to the doctor who referred me to dermatologist but the steriod cream if anything made it worse?Tried all sorts of whacky ideas and the smelliest was onion juice !😝IMy husband bought me a wig just incase it all fell out !But I've not worn it ... It looks terrible on me and I found it hot and itchy .. Waste of money !

Now I only look at it very occasionally as I found it upsetting....my mum is 93 and still has a full head of hair and so did my father until he died .

Still hoping it will all grow back ?If stress was the trigger and I'm not stressed now why or how do I get it to grow back?Or is it better to just accept it and hope it will one day ?Its not that bad is it?I have learnt not to focus on it too much but it is a mystery!

• Posted

hi jane sorry to read your comment i do think stress is a big factor in losing your hair its not nice at all so i do no how you feel but in time your hair will grow in time mine did BUT were i had the patchs it fell out again not as bad i think when you get alopica you will always have itmy hair stills falls out to this day i used baby shampoo and i tryed not to blow dry it were the old patchs were my hair is very thin there is nothing you can do about it but time will repair it there is no cure its just a fact of life i cryed for months i was very depressed but you just have except it and move on ive had it for 24 years and it is a lot better then it was i do hope this has helped you 
    • Posted

Jane, If the steroid cream did not work, did you call & make another appointment? There are other things he may try. I advise to go back for another visit & see what they can do to help you. YOu may have a fungal or yeast infection or other problems so  go back to the dermatologists. Best wishes!

• Posted

Hi I am 41 and just diagnosed with alapecia areata. I have had thyroid checked and screened for auto immune and all are ok, why is this happening? I am getting no answers. So frustrating and depressing.
    • Posted

I started with 2 alapecia spots and now I am losing hair everywhere and it is happening so rapidly ( it's only been a month) what is going on?
  • Posted

ust signed up to this never been a forum type of person but i must insist onsaying something, as an ex derm nurse, and the husband of a wife who had this problem,for 20 years  we think we have cracked it,we have been to derm doc, who as usual will give steroid, oh and would you like a wig, she has tried meat free, non alcohol, and all sort of homeopathic nonsence

but i can tell what has worked , keep off bread, pizza , pasta , its gluten she also gets very bad stomach ache from leading up to the patches appearing

the problem only comes back if she goes particularly back on pasta,

3 years on her hair has maintained and all areata has gone, all grown back, but as soon as she tries pasta a small hairless formation starts about 8  days later, along with stomach problems.

i have advised a patient in hospital 18 months agowho was only 20, she also had the samesymtoms andnow she has followed the same as my wife, guess what, yep all hari back no stomach problems0 Report this Reply[darren62159] ★1

darren62159 peter49784 • 25 minutes agoo and by the way she doesnt have coeliac disease, she has been tested but it is a very sensative test so my advice would be to ignore it and have a strict gluten ffree diet for at least 3 months,

also look at the evidence of the link between glten free and hair loss, many times it mentions the stomach flora being unbalanced due to gluten

• Posted

thanks darren for the info will try this as my hair has got worse i dont like going out because of this really down in the dumps 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.