Alopecia areata

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have had two bald /very thin patches diagnosed by dermatologist as alopecia areata three years ago.I believe stress started it but I'm not stressed now.I have tried steriod cream,various shampoos etc but nothing has worked so far.

They are at the back of my head and covered by my mid length fine hair and I have managed to ignore it most of the time.I would love it to grow back and spend money on possible cures from time to time.

I haven't tried minoxidil yet and I wondered if anyone had tried it with any success ?Any adverse side effects?Ive not tried steriod injections as have read that once you stop using them the hair falls out again.The dermatologist did say it may just grow back and sometimes seems to grow a few hairs but not enough to cover the patches.Has anyone found anything that works ?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Biotin 3mg, along with 30mg zinc, 200 vitamin C and 1mg folic acid.

The Cleveland Clinic sent this info in their latest newsletter, I just bought some and will start taking it tomorrow.

• Posted

Has it helped ?Ive tried vitamins including those mentioned above and hasn't made any difference.Just trying another topical lotion.It has too many ingredients to list them all but includes zinc,ginseng B5 Yucca etc Cost £35.If it works I will let you know.Ive had these patches for over three years so with no change .Would be great to find something that works but if not I can hide it and found new thickening shampoo helps to hide them as luckily they are on the back of my head so not too worried.Just getting on with my life ... as my daughter said its only hair mum .

• Posted

The Cleveland Clinic stressed that all those had to be taken together each day.  I do think that I see a difference, not a big difference though.

You certainly have a sweet daughter. 

So, it's as though your body thought about getting alopecia and then changed it's mind and quit.  Lucky! 

I would like to mention.... white hair is not affected by alopecia, I think it is too coarse.  So, with age you will get more and more hair....something good to look forward to with age!  My husband was totally bald for a couple years, now he has a decent looking head of all white hair.

• Posted

When it started I was very stressed.My mother then 90 years had fallen and broken her right arm and my husband had been diagnosed with prostate cancer plus my job teaching special needs children was stressful too.I suspect it's the stress hormones ( possibly?) that kicked off the hair loss?It has been 5 years now and my stress has been reduced .I retired from my job to look after my mother .Her arm has healed and though she has vascular dementia she seems as well and comfortable in her own home with the support of myself and 3 good carers.My husband seems well enough and is now going to have his prostate removed to hopefully prevent the cancer spreading.So my stress has reduced and I have a wonderful family with 4 gorgeous grandsons and a new baby due in January.Just wish my hair would grow back but seems unlikely after 5 years.But I am lucky in that the bald patches are at the back of my head below the crown so my other hair covers it.

How interesting that white hair isn't affected?I had read that when the hair regrows it can be white .

I will check my vitamin supplements to see if they have those you quoted in.

Thanks for your support.

Jane

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.